What oils are good without having to sell the house. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What oils are good without having to sell the house.

I'm in the middle stages of a complete rebuilt of a 7.3 and wondering what kind of oil to use. The shell rotella was always in it for 243000, a choice? What about the new rotella t6 5w-40. Or is the price not worth it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have ran both the regular rotella 15-40 and T6 5-40. this past winter we didn't have crap for cold weather (I don't think I ever plugged my truck in) but I noticed a big difference in cold weather start with the synthetic. and for the extra few bucks, I've been running it since
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM

I just bought my '03 last september and had to jump straight into winterizing the truck for cold starts. Although just like Matt, Wisconsin had an unusually mild winter (maybe saw -0 a couple times at most.) But I ran the Rotella 5w-40 and the truck fired right up without plugging it in, even after sitting in the wind for 8-10 hours while I was at work. It's the only oil I'll be running with this truck.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You're familiar with the company Monster (as in Monster Cables)?

They make High-End electrical stuff and the like and are primarily made for people who want to feel special.... (they've got the really Good Stuff, the Donald Trump stuff, because they want to feel good about themselves and how much they care about what they have ). And, for a mere $150, they can have a HDMI Cable with no equal! (or so it makes them feel,,,, again, it's All About the FEELING)

That's what you have with All sorts of products for your car & truck.

Amsoil, Schaffers, Royal Purple, Lucas, all that stuff is Much more about YOU than your engine (just like those who change their HPOP res oil)

The simple fact is, as long as you change your oil regularly, it's not going to make One Bit of difference what you put in there. Delo, Rotella, Quaker State. Pennzsoil, Whatever,,, as long as it meets your engines requirements (all in the Owners Manual) go ahead and use it!

Don't let some sheep bahaaa you into believing your doing anything but the "Slow-Stroke" when opening your wallet and overpaying for an oil product...... (unless you've just Got to have that HDMI cable )
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 AM

regular rotella is fine, but if I lived up north, I'd probably switch to the synth 5/40 for the cold months
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like schaeffers 9000, because its the cheapest 5w40 cj-4 oil I can get at the moment v. M1 tdt and t6. If you don't live where it's cold, regular 15w40 is fine.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know you're nowhere near Atlanta but I just changed my oil with Conoco/Phillips 15-W40 Fleet Supreme EC that I bought from Atlanta Fuel Co. for $41.20/4-gal case.I had the guy there send me over the spec sheet and it turns out it had a total base # of 9.5. I have been told that this is the same oil as the Motorcraft oil. So far so good but I only have about 500 miles on it. I figure it will be good for 5000 mile intervals. I still use the motorcraft filters though. Total oil change $56.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Here is a very interesting comparison. Read the whole article then decide. I am using the Valvoline Premium Blue.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Rotella T for warmer temps, T6 for colder temps. I don't eveer use T6 but it doesnt get very cold here and my 7.3 runs fine on the 15-40
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree with Ralph, it depends on your driving situation. It is always helpful to look at numbers because they dont lie. This is from a virgin oil sample. BTW this site is great to read up on oils:

Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 - Bob Is The Oil Guy

With that being said, i run Mobil Delo 1300 year round here in Nashville. Buying it in 2.5 gal jugs is helpful also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.