55 gal barrel of rotella question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
55 gal barrel of rotella question

I have an opportunity to buy a sealed 55 gallon barrel of SHELL ROTELLA T Triple Protection 15W40....i can pick it up for $450...i know it is a good price but looking at the big picture....he said he thinks it is about 14 months old...still sealed...was stored indoors...If i buy it it would be just for personal use so i think it would take me 2-3 years to use it up. so......

1. would i have to worry about the shelf life?

2. do i have to mix it everytime before dispensing into gallon jugs to put in truck?

3. if so how would i mix a 400+ pound barrel properly?

4. If i store it in my garage would i have to worry about condensation?

I just do not want to waste my saving while using it up. i included a pic of what it looks like right now
Attached Thumbnails
55 gal barrel of rotella question-barrel.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thats still like 9 dollars a gallon, hell you can get it almost that cheap new. if it was like 250 i would consider it (not really because i don't run that junk in my engine) but it would be more plausable
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i have looked everywhere here and the cheapest i can find it at sams club is 73.83+tax for 6 gallons...i am open to suggestions for 9 per gallon locations
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

you just got to wait until it goes on sale. pay 11 to 12 dollars a gallon for new oil out of a jug or 9 dollars a gallon for some old as$ oil. sounds like a deal to me. i pay 25 dollars a gallon for oil and prolly change it more often than you do
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
If you watch circulars, you can usually find any of the big brands (Rotella, Delvac, Delo, etc) for 10-12 bucks a gallon. I know Delvac has a rebate ($5 per gallon) and usually goes on sale every spring. Heck I think the normal price for those oils at Wally Wold is 12-13. Not a stellar deal IMHO, personally I would just watch the specials.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM

I'd just call a local bulk fuel and oil supplier and question them about shelf life. I've thought about buying in bulk and changing oil in buddies rigs and charging a bit to recoup the cost of the oil. It should be fine though, there's nothing to settle out of the oil and it's sealed. As long as you keep it closed in between changes you should be good. Sorry but a gallon around here is 12 plus bucks on sale now...what's it gonna be 6 months or a year from now? I'd do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.