Water Pump and More ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 06:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water Pump and More ?'s

So I started my project today and after taking everything apart I just had a few questions before starting to put it all back together.

Water Pump ?s
1. I meant to flush the water system before I removed the water pump but got a little ahead of myself. Now I'm wondering if theres a way I can flush out the block with a garden hose thru the hole in the block and out the drain holes on the bottom? I would prefer to do this before installing the new pump and filtration system then flush with distilled water after it's back together...thoughts?

2. The new pump I got has a 90* elbow on it vs straight out on the old one. Is this a common mistake and or a big problem when going to install? I'm hoping the lower hose that I got will match up to it or at least enough to wear I can cut the hose down to fit...

3. Anybody have any issues installing the DieselSite.com Coolant Filtration system while using the dual alt upper rad hose? I vaguely remember reading something about the filter and hose rubbing together. I would really like to use the hose that routes around instead of thru the serp belt if at all possible!

Power Steering ?s
4. Any recommendations on ATF to refill when it's back together?

5. Is there a special procedure I should follow when refilling everything? I am replacing the pump, pressure lines and return lines.

6. Just in general, do you guys have any suggestions where I should use different thread compounds? (ie. anti seize or thread locker)

I'm gonna post some pics in a minute of what I got done today too, so watch out for those...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-F450 View Post
2. The new pump I got has a 90* elbow on it vs straight out on the old one. Is this a common mistake and or a big problem when going to install? I'm hoping the lower hose that I got will match up to it or at least enough to wear I can cut the hose down to fit...

I think the difference is the single alternator version is the 90* bend, and the dual is straight.

3. Anybody have any issues installing the DieselSite.com Coolant Filtration system while using the dual alt upper rad hose? I vaguely remember reading something about the filter and hose rubbing together. I would really like to use the hose that routes around instead of thru the serp belt if at all possible!

Mine rub, Not a terrible amount, but I still run it. Might should get a hose sleeve for the upper.

Power Steering ?s
4. Any recommendations on ATF to refill when it's back together?

You drained that? I'd flush with some synthetic ATF

5. Is there a special procedure I should follow when refilling everything? I am replacing the pump, pressure lines and return lines.

Nothing special. For flushing, I'd do multiple distilled water fills, runs of the motor/pump up to temp, drains, repeat to get all the tap water out. Then fill with 4gallons of your antifreeze. A CAT EC-1 rated ELC is a good idea. Then top off with distilled water. That will get you a 50/50 mix.

6. Just in general, do you guys have any suggestions where I should use different thread compounds? (ie. anti seize or thread locker)

I didn't and I've had it apart since I replaced it the first time. I'd suggest the Dieselsite billet thermostat housing.

I'm gonna post some pics in a minute of what I got done today too, so watch out for those...
up there in red
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 PM

jesilvas, sorry, I should've clarified, I'm doing a bunch of work to the truck in a sort of "while-im-at-it" mentality (water pump/hoses/therm, PS pump and lines, Adrenaline HPOP, Aux Fuel Pump, Fuel Bowl rebuild, the list goes on and on (heres a link to the thread I started with a parts list Doing Some Work, Any Suggestions?)..

2. that's weird because the truck only has 1 alternator? I'm actually wondering if the water pump has been "serviced" before cause it honestly looks like someone was beating on the clutch fan nut with a hammer and there is rtv gunked on the pump and the outlet

my ? #5 was actually directed towards the Power Steering system and a procedure to fill that since I am replacing the pump and pressure/return lines..

any thoughts on pumpin a garden hose thru the block and out the drain plugs with a garden hose? I don't see it being an issue, but this is my first diesel project so there's a lot I don't know lol

I already got the billet housing and 203* therm from them
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM

Ok gotcha.
For powersteering, I'm not sure. I think just get the front tires off the ground and fill the reservoir, crank so it runs the pump, and keep refilling as you pump the brakes and turn the tires.
The garden hose idea sounds fine, I just don't know how much you can actually push water through the block.
Heater core, use a flush kit to do that.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM

She's officially in the "OR". It rained all day today so I wanted to keep dry (from the rain that is, it's impossible to avoid coolant and oil around this truck, you'll see why in a sec)

This is one thing that prompted this work. This truck leaks like a siv and we can't have it leaking all over our clients driveways! So i figured if I'm gonna replace the water pump I might as well take everything off the front of the motor to look for leaks and so it began! It's looking to me like most of it might be coming from around the front of the oil pan though unfortunately. What do yall think?

Here's the water pump right before I took it off, see the straight outlet?

Last edited by CCA-F450; 04-26-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 AM

Do y'all think it would be ok if I rigged something up to pump the garden hose thru the heater core hose that connected to the water pump too? Does the heater plumb back into the block?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

typically when you buy a new waterpump it comes with both the straight and 90 elbow, the 90 is for the vans, its weird yours didnt come with both
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM

Well, ran into my first big issue. The drivers side water drain plug rounded out but I got the passenger side out..question is how good of a flush can I get without removing the driver side plug?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just replaced my water pump too mine only came with a 90 and the old one was straight couldn't never find a hose so I cleaned my old one and reused and if your using billet therm housing better get some rtv and put around the oring I could never get mine to seal and get antiseeze to put on the 3 bolts holding therm housing

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-27-2012, 02:30 PM

+12 on the RTV sealant.
All my connections leaked the first time. Clean it all good, and still use sealant.
I'd run the water hose until it comes out clear with it on, then put it all back together after draining what you can and refill with distilled water. Run it for a while. Drain. Distilled. Run. Drain. I went through about 3 cycles of that and felt good enough I got enough tap water out. Then drained and refilled with half coolant/top off with distilled water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.