Finally Got My Powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally Got My Powerstroke

Been wanting a 7.3 since the OBS days. Something has always been in the way, mainly family, finances, etc. I've been making due with a F150 and finally decided to bite the bullet and start the search. These things are hard to find! Anyway, I finally found a early 1999 F350 extended cab 4x4 with 98,000 miles and ZF6. Trying to find a long bed, extended cab with ZF6, low milage was interesting. I ended up driving over 300 miles to buy the truck sight unseen from a GM dealership.

It isn't perfect, rust underneath both doors and some behind on the cab corners. Other than that, the (1) owner appears to have taken great care of the rig. To my surprise, the entire front end has been rebuilt with greasable fittngs, brakes are perfect, and I can't really find any issues drivetrain wise. Truck has never had a gooseneck, fifth wheel, or even a brake controller on it. I drove the truck the 300 miles home trailing my wifes 2012 Passat TDI, one of the happiest days of my life, finally got my powerstroke!

So far, I've put on a Diamone Eye 4" back exhaust and have gauges and S&B intake on the way. I've done the oil change and plan on doing the transmission and transfer case oil as well. I'm a little on the fence about doing the front and rear differential as the rear fluid states good for life and front isn't due until 150,000. Currently builing our house right now as well, so may just wait until I have some more spare time.

Once I'm sure everything is sorted out, I'll probably give PHP a call and let them do thier magic, may wait a while for that though.

I have a 12,000 lb. excavator and trailer that I'll be moving around some and a 30" bumber pull camper of Dad's that I'm sure we will use as well. Other than that It'll just be waiting for me in the garage for the weekly Lowe's trips.

Love this forum and love having a real truck again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome. No pics? Hows the rust on the bed? I know my bed rust showed up before the doors and cab corners... Only rust left to fix for me is cab corners and front doors.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ashamed to say, no pics yet, just go to much going on. Anyway, no rust on bed anywhere. Looks like previous owner went in and primed/painted all the inside panels, he had also spent a good deal of time underneath on the frame and important areas as well. The passanger side door is still salvagable with some POR15, but the driver will need some metal welded in, that will wait until next year when the house is done.

Other than a clunk right underneath my foot in the drivers floor board, this truck is rock solid. I've read that it may be due to the body mount sagging so I'll investigate that further when I get a chance. I noticed that the parking brake is barely working as well so not sure if it will need adjusted, new brakes, new cable or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.