International up-pipe compatibility w/other upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
International up-pipe compatibility w/other upgrades

Hi folks,

Over the winter I discovered I've got an exhaust leak on the up-pipe to y-pipe (baby's butt) on my 7.3L. I've read a fair bit on this topic and I'd like to do the international up-pipe upgrade. I've read several sets of instructions (Guzzles included) and I'm comfortable with the procedure itself.

I'd like the kit on hand before I tear into it but I want to have some confidence that the kit will be compatible. I'm also up in Canada and will likely order these from somewhere in the US. The more I work on the truck, the more I realize that the previous owner wasn't particularly honest about the upgrades he had done to this truck. What I do know is that the down-pipe and turbine housing are Banks units. I doubt its relevant, but the turbo/compressor is an Garrett upgrade but the only number on it I can read doesn't cross to anything I can find online. There is also a Banks bighead wastegate on it. Can I assume that the international kit will be compatible? Or are there some possible areas I should look at more carefully before I order the parts.

Also, is there much value in the ceramic coating on the up-pipes? I'm not concerned with "pretty". More does it provide much for performance or economy?

For reference the other upgrades on the truck I'm currently aware of are:
Banks Exhaust (I beleive its 4")
Ford Heavy Duty Filter Kit
Superchip Chip
Banks Exhaust Brake

Thanks Folks,
TMFS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There are two basic categories of turbo, the drop in and a full replacement that uses different up pipes among other things. If you have a Garrett GTP38 (stock) or GTP38R (ball bearing) turbo that is bolted down in the stock location, then the new up pipes will work. If your truck is a early 99 or you have a turbo that is bolted down somewhere other than the stock location, the pipes won't work. If you want confirmation on what you have, post a pic.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks,

That helps a fair bit. My truck is a 2001 and I'm pretty sure the turbo is in the stock location. From what I can tell, the banks stuff looks pretty modular (ie. they're exhaust systems work with stock turbos and vice versa, so I suspect it means everything should be in the stock location. Nonetheless, I'll try get a good picture tonight if its not raining and let those of you with more experience set me straight.

TMFS
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, getting pictures wasn't so easy. I couldn't get any that showed much of the turbine housing, up and down pipes or the y-pipe due to the tight quarters. These are the ones that seemed to turn out ok. If there's anything else I should really try get a picture of let me know and I'll see if I can figure out some way of making it work better.

Thanks again for the help.

TMFS
Attached Thumbnails
International up-pipe compatibility w/other upgrades-p1100259.jpg   International up-pipe compatibility w/other upgrades-p1100264.jpg   International up-pipe compatibility w/other upgrades-p1100266.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looks like a stock turbo, probably has a banks/wicked wheel if the PO was into banks. The number is the serial no. You also need to look into the CCV mod and replace all your boots.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks JSchuricht, that gives me enough confidence to put in the order. I hadn't heard of the CVV mod till you mentioned it, but after reading about it, clearly I am in need! I've always done my own work on all the toys, but I'm realizing that I've got alot to learn about the powerstroke. These forums have been absolutely invaluable.

I'm definitely interested to find out exactly what all the pieces of the turbo system are when I take it apart. Its somewhat challenging making decisions on this truck not knowing exactly what is already on it. Case in point, I replaced the K&N intake system the PO had on it with the Ford/Donaldson AIS Severe duty intake to better protect the engine, but the filter minder seems to be indicating that I'm going to need more airflow (its almost railed even though the filter is almost brand new). Lots of fun!

Thanks again,
Darcy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.