'96 F Super Duty stiff clutch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'96 F Super Duty stiff clutch

Back in '09 we purchased a 1996 F Super Duty mechanics truck, clutch was bad. I replaced the clutch with a brand name (don't recall the brand) aftermarket clutch and one piece flywheel as the dual mass flywheel is very expensive.

Put the truck in service, clutch was stiff, very firm pedal. I've been just living with it since, but a couple weeks ago, was in the truck for 4 straight days going to various job sites. By Thur, my left foot was numb, then in pain from depressing clutch pedal.

We have since sent the truck to Ford dealer to have original equipment clutch installed, including dual mass flywheel and matching clutch assy. Pedal is slightly easier, but still firm. I'm concerned it's still going to have an effect on my foot with continued driving.

Anybody got any ideas how to remedy this problem? Different master cylinder or slave cylinder? Some type of inline "booster" for fluid clutch? I have to figure out something or it will get to the point I can't drive the truck to do service calls, which will render the truck worthless to us, and nerve damage to my foot has crossed my mind as well. Thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a '96 with a stiff clutch also. Just think its the nature of the beast. When I get in the wifes H3 Hummer I almost drive the clutch pedal through the floor after I drive my truck for a while. I drive truck for a living and the pedal is stiffer on the Ford than my Peterbilt. Also my truck has a new dealer installed clutch in it about 5k miles old.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM

Yes, seems I'm hearing that from several folks, just the way they are.

Only thing that bugs me...I'm not convinced this truck came off the Ford assembly line with a clutch as stiff as this one, they'd never sell the darn thing, and even if they did, a buyer would bring it back within a week cussing them like a sailor. WTF happened along they way for this clutch to get like this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.