stereo install problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stereo install problem

I'm putting a used stereo in my truck, a panasonic df66. it has RCA plugs in the back of it for a CD changer and I read on here that you can use an RCA to headphone cord to listen to an Ipod. I plug the cord in and nothing, the stereo doesn't recognize that anything's plugged in. Is there more wiring I need to do? There's a Cd changer control plug next to the RCA inputs, would that have anything to do with it?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would think those would be audio outputs to go to a amp. While I am no car audio expert I don't recall ever seeing RCA inputs on a head unit.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

There are 2 pairs of outputs fpr an amp and 1 pair of input, the input is for a cd changer. trying to get a good work around so I don't have to reply on my i-trip.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the rca jacks on the stereo are only for amp application...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 AM

as for the input line i am thinking the iPod doesn't have enough power to send for the stereo to play...every stereo i have seen with iPod hookups have had the input on the front. a jack plug of sorts. is the stereo MP3 capable? if so burn your music on to a cd in mp3 format...that would be hundreds of songs
Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 AM

you can do this. At least I have. Make sure you are plugged into the INPUT as stated above. On mine, I also had to change the channel on my stereo to an input of some sort. It would not recognize that an ipod was hooked up automatically. hope that helps.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobm24 View Post
you can do this. At least I have. Make sure you are plugged into the INPUT as stated above. On mine, I also had to change the channel on my stereo to an input of some sort. It would not recognize that an ipod was hooked up automatically. hope that helps.
SOUNDS like your using a fm modulator of you have to go to a certain station to hear it...
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotairgypsy View Post
SOUNDS like your using a fm modulator of you have to go to a certain station to hear it...
I don't know what an FM modulator is but if it is one of those shoddy little things that you plug in and it generates an FM signal, that's NOT what I used (because they suck lol). It was in a different car but an aftermarket deck nonetheless. I got RCA cables with a single plug on the end that went into the ipod. Red and White went into the input of the deck (on the back).

When I said I changed the channel, I meant I changed the SOURCE, not the FM channel. sorry if that was confusing
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

The RCA jacks I'm trying to use are the inputs for an optional cd changer. There's a plug next to those, has 8 pins I think, and the wiring diagram for the stereo shows that the cd changer plugs into that and the rca inputs get plugged in too. I'm guessing that there's something that needs to be jumpered maybe to fool the deck. Maybe there's just not enough power from the i-pod to get through. Hmm? I tried googling this too but no luck on that. I'd really like this to work since this deck was free but may just have to buy a stereo that's i-pod ready.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM

An iPod ready stereo is only 89 bucks brand new. It will cost you more in aggravation than 89 bucks. Panasonic car audio has been shut down for 3 years btw so parts or adapters are doubtful.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.