Ford F350 DRW safe? Honest non-fanboy opinions please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford F350 DRW safe? Honest non-fanboy opinions please

Sorry to post up a contro topic first out the gate on this forum, but we are seriously looking at getting a F350 -2000-2003 4x4 7.3 dually crew cab truck as a toy hauler.

Now I understand that the F250 and F350 are pretty much identical-frame/front clip,etc.

I also know the F250/350 are above the deathtrap F150s of the same era. I had a friend in his F150 go up against an Accord. He did not walk away, other driver did.

There exist a video I saw of a 250/350 crash test and it was not pretty either though not a crew cab with the extra pillar. Would that extra pillar really help keep the cabin in one piece vs folding like a soda can?

Bottom line question is, with my family being in the truck sometimes, is the 99-03 F350 safe?

Again, honest answer, no fanyboyism or Ford flag waving. I care less of the badge on my truck. Have owned Tundra, Silverado, and Ram in the past.

Links to an actual F250/350 crew cab crash test would be appreciated, just cannot find any.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its a full size pickup with a HUGE mass of metal at the front. You will more than likely have a higher center of gravity and more structural rigidity than most vehicles out there. Collisions with other vehicles will leave you with very badly damaged other vehicles. Collisions with mountains will be bad...

Spend a lot of money on the front brakes and keep your speed down. You'll be fine.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I see wrecks daily at work that come in. Very rarely do you see any 3/4 / 1 ton that the occupants wouldn't have survived. One I remember was a 1 ton dodge srw that rolled and hit a tree. They did not survive. You could barely tell it was a truck. Now 1/4 -1/2 ton trucks are flimsy as hell from what I've seen. No matter the brand. I'd much rather be in my truck or any other 3/4-1 ton srw or drw in a wreck than a suv or a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Have a 16 point roll cage welded in if you are that worried about it . . .
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM

put a ranchhand bumper on it and dont worry about it, they will take a big hit
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Personal Opinion:
Here's the way I look at it. Yes, the videos of these crash tests can be scary, but any Car / Truck / SUV can / will suffer damage in a front end crash. We can decide what we do with the information. Are we going to let it hold us in fear of 'what might happen' or are we going to go out and be as safe a driver as we can so we can do our part to not let it happen? I choose the latter because I like driving.

Vehicles are soooooo much safer than they used to be. As a result, there are far fewer serious injuries and/or deaths than there used to be. No, it hasn't eliminated them - There are too many factors involved to get it to zero.

A larger vehicle should provide a safer environment for its occupant(s). Choosing a pick up, like a F250/F350 you used as an example, would help protect you better than a smaller vehicle.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In a crash between 2 vehicles, the one with the most lug nuts, usually wins.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Here is a little personal experience of mine. I was going about 20mph rolling up to a stop light and there was this jeep patriot on my *** so I decided to move over into the right lane (I was in the center lane) I gave it some gas and right as I move into the right lane he had at the very same time flew over to my side and I ended up slamming into his rear driver door while under acceleration with no brakes applied. Needless to say the impact was pretty hard and I pushed his jeep over the curb onto the sidewalk. I felt a pretty good jolt but I was perfectly fine. Wasn't even sore the next day. My truck had a big ol' dent in the bumper and the bumper was pushed in a little and rubbing the wheel, and my bumper cover was all scratched up and cracked. Total damage was about $350 parts and paint, I did all the labor myself. The Jeeps rear driver door was completely smashed in, glass shattered, all airbags deployed, and the passenger wheels were both bent upwards from being pushed over the curb. Driver was taken to the hospital from injuries from the airbags, and although he was shaken up a bit he ended up fine.

My friend (05 RAM 1500) and I were driving like idiots through a parking lot, it was raining and I was flying over speed bumps. I got pretty far ahead of him and came to a stop sign he tried to catch up and right as I came to a stop he slammed into the back of me at about 20mph while under 100% braking, his wheels locked up over the speed bump right before the stop sign so he couldn't stop. I saw him flying up behind me so I punched the gas but the turbo lag didn't let me move much so I still got hit pretty hard. Luckily I had my trailer hitch in so I didn't have any damage but his bumper got a whole punched in it. Again, I got shook pretty hard but woke up the next morning and wasn't even sore!

Finally, (yes I know I have been in a lot of fender-benders) I was out with some friends playing in the mud (at night) and my friend (06 F150) and I turned the same direction and slammed into one another front driver corner to front driver corner. My bumper got dented really bad, bumper cover was all cracked up, headlight was shattered (still worked), and fender was pushed in. His truck got f*****. Bumper was tore off, headlight ripped off, fender hanging down, hood crumpled up, grille cracked, pretty much the whole front drivers clip, drivers door wouldn't even open. But no airbags deployed and everyone was perfectly fine!

Bottom line is the SD trucks are very safe as are the new style F150s. I have never been in too serious of an accident but I know if I was I would surly be fine. If your getting any year SD truck I would not be worried about safety.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM

my "death trap era" 00 f150 saved my life this last fall! It was a side impact, but still if i had a smaller car I don't know if the outcome would have been the same.. I have no personal first hand experience with my 1 ton and would like to keep it that way!!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRacing View Post
my "death trap era" 00 f150 saved my life this last fall! It was a side impact, but still if i had a smaller car I don't know if the outcome would have been the same.. I have no personal first hand experience with my 1 ton and would like to keep it that way!!
Amen!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.