Looking to buy a truck with PMRs and drop in a forged motor later on. Advice needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy a truck with PMRs and drop in a forged motor later on. Advice needed

There are some pretty good deals that I've found on 7.3 engines 94.5-97 and am thinking of picking on up. Technically keeping the horse in front of the buggy since I havent found a 7.3 truck that meets my standards.

I am wanting a 2003 7.3L 4x4 dually, cab doesnt matter, 6 speed would be a plus, f350-550, 6x4 if it was otherwise perfect for what i want.

Now my thoughts, I haul hay from other states into Ok then sell with shipping as an option but cant swing a semi with the bank yet. So the truck will be pushed hard. PMR's worry me even though I wont be hitting >400hp out the gate and dont plan to race (thats what Chevy's are for ).

Now for the question what year engine with forged rods can I buy and "rebuild" the top end and have a basically drop in unit? Obviously 99-01 but any/all OBS years?

Thanks in advance for helping the Chevy Guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM

No one knows?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why do you want a 2003? A 1999 or 2000 is the same truck with forged rods. I'm not sure if all 2000's have forged rods they might have switched to PMRs sometime during 2000. Good luck finding the truck you want.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM

I thought the interiors were alil different in 03's? If not atleast the banker would be happier with as new of truck as possible.

Found a 03 F350 Dually ex cab 4x4 6spd, cloth interior (some wear and a couple small holes), new 265/75 hankook MT's, Ranch hands front and rear, ONE OWNER, Quadzilla chip.

The bad: Clutch is out, vents only blow on defrost, bed is pretty rough, was used as welding truck and portable corral delivery truck, wrinkled front fender from deer, all original HPOP and 7 original injectors, said it starts alil rough when cold outside, 248K miles. I'm sure there are other problems but i was in a hurry when i stopped to look at it.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You know,, the whole "PMR - Beware" warnings are pretty overblown.

Nobody's really having rod failures out there, they actually work pretty well for the Vast majority of users. If you don't plan on putting like 5K into engine performance, you're kinda worrying about nothing...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM

I kinda get the feeling that I will be good OK with good tuning, stage 1s, and a T4 non gated turbo.

The turbo has been recorded at ~290hp on a mechanicaly inject 6.5 chevy and it was on the larger end of what it could handle with stock fuel rates. There is a smaller version that is very popular among 6.5 faithfuls.

It can also be bought for under $1000 including a T4 kit for a 7.3L. I will be testing it and will possibly try to market it, if it passes the tests.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM

Is there anything I should be concerned about on the truck since it has 248K on it?

I imagine the glow plug system needs work and injectors are due for a change (i am planning stage 1s anyways).

What is a good aftermarket clutch for heavy towing? +30K gross weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.