BD exhaust brake questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BD exhaust brake questions

Hey all, So I picked up a BD exhaust brake off a buddy of mine that builds custom rigs.... The one is picked up is a 4" in and out, looks to be a remote mount option , as it does not bolt directly to the turbo. I think it was purchased for a cummins build . My question is , Can i mount this in my 1999.5 superduty? All i have is the unit pictured. I need to find out if this need a air operated or a vaccum operated brake. I looked on bd's website and short of calling them i didnt find much info. I know i will need the part from them that bolts to the shifter to operate it... Anyone else run a remote mounted exhaust brake? how do they work?

I got this for free btw... So a little money into it to complete isnt a big deal

Any help is much appreciated!

BD exhaust brake questions-exhaust-brake-1.jpg

BD exhaust brake questions-exhaust-brake-2.jpg

BD exhaust brake questions-exhaust-brake-3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It will work
Most likely air operated.
Enjoy
Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, did what i should have before, called BD ... Tech guy says it will work .. i need a throttle switch and a vacuum switch... less then $200...

The brake IS vacuum operated.... BUT he said my 99 doesnt have a vacuum pump? Any ideas on aftermarket pumps i could put in? Dont the later years have vacuum pump for the hubs? if so are they belt driven or electric? Thanks guys!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your 99 has an electric vacuum pump.

Just curious, but why do you want to add this? 1, an exhaust brake isn't recommended on these trucks, especially with an auto trans. 2, you can turn your EBPV into an exhaust brake if you wanted to for a lot less than this will cost you.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman View Post
Ok, did what i should have before, called BD ... Tech guy says it will work .. i need a throttle switch and a vacuum switch... less then $200...

The brake IS vacuum operated.... BUT he said my 99 doesnt have a vacuum pump? Any ideas on aftermarket pumps i could put in? Dont the later years have vacuum pump for the hubs? if so are they belt driven or electric? Thanks guys!
You HAVE a vacuum pump. He's dumb.
How does your defrost change to vent and floor? Vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman View Post
4" in and out, looks to be a remote mount option
It mounts in the exhuast. You have 3.5" exhaust.

Is this a manual or auto trans?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

@ Airman , I want to add because i tow my camp trailer 1 or 2 times a month and want some added braking to take the stress on the trans and wheel brakes... Question- why do you say they are not recommended on our trucks? My truck is a manual, I converted it over last year.

@ Jesilvas , I have an aftermarket exhaust on the truck, its 4" from the turbo then goes into 6" under the passenger seat.. So i have a nice open section to install the brake ..

Any clue to where the pump in located, before i go crawl around and search for it. Thanks guys!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:13 PM

The non-recommended reason I've always heard is that you could float valves since the springs aren't that strong stock.
If you know how strong your springs are, and if you can set the brake to release at a certain pressure, then you can be safe.
Oh, vacuum pump is on top of pass side wheel well. Bleed off the vacuum by switching vent selections with key off, then key on engine off, and you should hear the pump running.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BD says the 7.3 is 40# ... 60# for the 12 valve cummins..

Pretty sure you can adjust the brake for more or less pressure .. i think thats all in the install writup i was emailed from BD..

Ill have to do some more research on the exact pounds to the brake at and if there is a way to measure that..
Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Emergency Services

If you decide against mounting it up, I will buy it from you
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM

Second, whenever you increase exhaust backpressure, you need to make sure that the exhaust valve springs are capable of preventing the pressure in the exhaust system from lifting the exhaust valve from the valve seat, as this would result in a collision with the piston. Normal valve spring seat pressure is 70-75 PSI for NEW valve springs and deteriorates from there. Given that the surface area of the back of the exhaust valve is approximately 1.9 square inches, it would take only 40 PSI of exhaust pressure to lift the valve off the seat, even with new valve springs.
Off PHPs website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.