7.3l noobie mod list help please? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3l noobie mod list help please?

ok finally got a build date 04/1999 powerstroke shortbox extra cab in white.

here is my list of future mods: note I have owned this truck for 3 weeks now.

1. put on riftraft intake otherwise stock....Future mods listed below:

2. 6.0 tranny cooler(trying to source a cheaper one than 290 at dealership)

3. exhaust 5 inch downpipe back or turbo back? any real difference?

4. derale transmission pan(adds 8 qts) and maybe a valvebody(suggestions?)

5. basic stuff scheduled this weekend: oil change rotela t with motorcraft oil filter. change fuel filter(motorcraft)
I have a motorcraft tranny filter, but i want to wait till next month when i have the pan and cooler.
What transmission fluid? where can i get it at the best price?
So any other suggestions? I did find some 2004 headlights, bought a 2005 grill(gotta cut it or update my front bumper? )Still gotta put that on also.

ANY Sugeestions etc will be greatly appreciated, this is my first diesel so I do want to learn from the experienced. thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona7.3 View Post

5. basic stuff scheduled this weekend: oil change rotela t with motorcraft oil filter. change fuel filter(motorcraft)
I have a motorcraft tranny filter, but i want to wait till next month when i have the pan and cooler.
So any other suggestions? I did find some 2004 headlights, bought a 2005 grill(gotta cut it or update my front bumper? )Still gotta put that on also.

ANY Sugeestions etc will be greatly appreciated, this is my first diesel so I do want to learn from the experienced. thx.
I would suggest exhaust first. 4" turbo back is sufficient. Then I would get gauges pyro/boost/tranny temp. Get the trans cooler and a BTS valvebody, and don't do the pan. Get a chip of your choice. I recommend PHP but DP, beans etc are all good as well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm a little different I have a zombie intake, 4" turbo back straight pipe with a 4" hi flow magnaflow cat, into dual 5" stacks, tony Wildman tunes, autometer gauges, upgraded HPOP, and John Woods valve body. What every brand of these parts you do you will be more than happy!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you missed a mod... buy my KN Air Filter kit... LOL
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
live for the now

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
eww K&N... not on a diesel.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just saying... It came with my truck. I put the 6647 on mine. I am getting it off the shelf.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona7.3 View Post

Check sites like car-part.com and have a used one flushed by a radiator shop...I got mine for $100

The only thing you gain with a 5" exhaust for the most part is noise, 4" is more than enough for a PSD

I would forget the pan Derale gaskets aren't that good, IIRC the Derale pan are stamped steel so that won't help with heat...at all. The 6.0 cooler is MORE than enough. If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want a pan get a PML, at least that is aluminum but still about as useful as a hood ornament. John Wood and BTS are the two most popular valve body, I know Factory Tech is popular with the lightning crowd too (they also run 4R100s)

It is debated whether or not you can use Mercon V instead of plain old mercon, per your manual and dipstick the 4r100 is a Mercon only trans but ford dropped the mercon name in 2006 and now specs Mercon V for all former Mercon applications. Honestly, this thread doesn't need to turn into a Mercon vs Merc V logical toilet bowl so please use the search function to find out more on that.

As far as what is the best price...wally world Super Tech ATF is tough to beat, I have the Wally Word Dex/Merc in my 4r100 and it has been flawless over the past 20k miles, so a little lubegard and ST Dex/Merc works for me.Chevron MD3, Pennzoil Multi-vehicle etc etc are all good fluids. If you want to go nuts and get synthetic scheaffers and amsoil make great fluids too just too spendy for me...especially where the 4R100 has 30k service intervals.

Yes you will need to either trim your grill or get a 2005+ bumper and brackets IIRC

Personally, I would change every fluid in the truck unless you can vouch how old it is...power steering, brake, x-case (if applicable), both pumpkins and coolant.

A word on coolant, you can run pre-charged (various colors), ELC (typically red) or MC gold or conventional green with an SCA.

ELCs are the most popular on this forum cause of the long mileage life, really IMHO it doesn't matter which direction you go in...what really matter is if the coolant is properly monitored and maintained. In my case I am running gold so I need to watch the SCAs and make sure I don't do anything dumb like top off with green cause it can sludge.
My two cents are in red...
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Awesome advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.