Which oils - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which oils

Ok so I am planning on changing everything over to synthetics since I have hear nothing but good things, and would love to have that 8-12k intervals I have been hearing about. I will be using Amsoil since I have heard the best about them. I will run 15w-40 for engine oil but not sure which specific type since there are so many. Also what gear oil do I use in the front and rear diffs, as well as the transmission and transfer case. Also I think I want to run the BHOF on the engine, any thoughts on that? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM

On my Dmax I have the 75w140 severe gear oil front and rear but you really don't need the serve gear oil up front. For the tcase I run synchromesh manual tranny fluid. I can't remember what the atf is but I still have the jug.

I can check and see if my atf works for both and what engine oil I have, its 15w40 but didn't know there were any other specs.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You can run Amsoil multi ATF in the trans and the transfer case.
If you need a deal on some, send me a pm..

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Emergency Services

There are like 3-4 different products listed under each of the components on their site. Just don't know which ones to get.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Banned

Schaeffers 9000 5/40 in the engine, schaeffers all trans in the tranny, transfer case, power steering, redline 75/90 in the front diff 75/140 in the rear.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I run Amsoil throughout my trucks. Severe Gear 75-90 front, 75-140 rear, ATF in the tranny and transfercase, and the 15-40 engine oil that is for the pre-dpf vehicles and has the blue label. I have no input on that air filter setup, I run an S&B on my 01 and also have good experience with AFE.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm running the Premium Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine 15W-40. If you go with the BHOF, make sure you have a stock sized filter. (Amsoil EAO99) It's rated the same at 15 micron at 99%. The ELF7405 would not fit my truck. I bought 2 of them. Spent over an hour and a half with both of them under the truck. Couldn't get either to get on the threads. The start of the threads on the filter didn't look half as good as the Amsoil one and I think that may be my problem. I could feel it slide into the threads (motor side) but it wouldn't grab, even with me pushing up on it, turning it 4-5 times. I will be calling Donaldson to see if they had a bad run or something. The Amsoil one slid right up and caught within a half turn.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Crewcab7.3 View Post
Ok so I am planning on changing everything over to synthetics since I have hear nothing but good things, and would love to have that 8-12k intervals I have been hearing about. I will be using Amsoil since I have heard the best about them. I will run 15w-40 for engine oil but not sure which specific type since there are so many. Also what gear oil do I use in the front and rear diffs, as well as the transmission and transfer case. Also I think I want to run the BHOF on the engine, any thoughts on that? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
For the front pumpkin I would do the 75w-90, rear pumpkin 75w-140...in the power steering, trans and x-case I would run the multi-vehicle ATF.

Honestly with UOAs any properly running 7.3 should be able to make 8-12k OCIs even on cheap fleet grade oil...the factory OCI on the T444e was 10k. Granted the oil pan is slightly larger but only 2 quarts at most. You should have no problem getting 8-12k out of any of Amsoils diesel oils.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM

I ran 30K on my IDI 6.5 and it was just getting to the slightly worn margin according to samples. I am running dual bypass though.

10-15 on a "tight" 7.3 should be doable.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman_2006 View Post
I ran 30K on my IDI 6.5 and it was just getting to the slightly worn margin according to samples. I am running dual bypass though.

10-15 on a "tight" 7.3 should be doable.
The biggest thing to watch (other than the wear numbers on a properly running truck) is shear, while not the shear factory the 6.0 (unless your running a tune with a high duty cycle on it or dual HPOPs) is, a 7.3 can beat up an oil with the best of them. That being said going from a 40wt to a heavy 30wt without an acceleration of wear isn't anything to get worked up over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.