Whats up with the 40mph downshift on daily driver tunes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whats up with the 40mph downshift on daily driver tunes?

Just installed the Phoenix chip and I have to say I like the stock setting the most. 80dd, 120 and 140 all have GREAT top end, but they part throttle response down low is lousy. I wish i had stock down low and the added oomph of the 80 at mid throttle.

I noticed that it will downshift at 40 mph while coasting. Feels like someone jabbed on the brakes. Does this happen with anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Maybe some additional info on your setup would help.

Which tuners tunes do you have? What are the specs on your truck?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

The Phoenix chip is php's product. Send it back for a tweak if you don't like it
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 AM

PHP Phoenix and stage 1s. Auto 4x4.

I've posted about the issues on the PHP forum with no response as of yet. Its not the easiest process getting in touch with Power Hungry. It appears PHPs tune engages the TC on the downshift at 40mph. Its pretty sudden and sharp. I'm wondering if others have noticed it.

Copy and paste from my PHP Post:

I just installed a phoenix chip on my 01 with a set of used stage 1s. The initial run ran fantastic on the stock setting. I drove it for about a half hour and switched to 80 at a stop light. The engine stalled out.

I could restart the truck and it runs fine in the stock, 65 tow and 1100 idle settings but 80, 120 and 140 stalled out the truck. The same 80, 120 and 140 have gobs of power if im cruising, but it stalled at a stop.

While troubleshooting, i removed and reseated the chip. The stall out issue has not occurred since. However, I have noticed that the stock setting seems to idle and drive much nicer than the 80, though the 80 has significantly more on the top end. Basically the 80, 120 and 140 seem slightly lethargic down low in the rpms and idle very "lobey".

Since the seating of the board seemed to fix the stall issue, im wondering if the low performance of the same tunes is still related to a poor connection. I tinned the traces today and there is no difference in the performance of the chip

I also noticed a significant down shift while coasting (at 40 mph) that feels like someone jabbed the brakes. There is a feeling of resistance from that downshift to a complete stop. This is not the case on the stock tune.

I have an AE and can report back on any tests. I'd appreciate some ideas on what to check.

Added info: Tried to start the truck today with outside temps in the 40s. It would not start in 80dd, just blew white smoke. Started up in stock just fine - billowing a big cloud of white after the attempted starts in 80 dd.

I warmed the truck up and clicked to 80dd. The truck stalled out. Restarted in stock and tried again - the rpms dropped but the truck recovered.

Ive hooked it to my AE. All tests come back with no issues, no codes (except for #3 and #8 failing the contribution tests with 3% and 4.5% respectively. Perfect numbers for the new CPS). I'm able to maintain 3000 PSI for quite some time at WOT.

Last edited by audiocontr; 04-11-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Mitch

I have a Pheonix and have not had the issues you are talking about, although my truck is fairly stock compared to yours. My TC usually stays locked in from Highway speed down to about 35 MPH, and then unlocks at 35 MPH. It doesn't have that significant downshift that you describe. I usually am running on the 100 P or the 80 DD. The 80 DD shifts sooo smooth for me. I don't think I could go back to the Stock, which is sitting in position 1 and hasn't been used since I installed it in December. At Idle, it runs fine as well in any of the positions and I have not had issues with the cold start ups. I had days this past winter where it would be -10*F all day and it would start jus fine after I cycled the glow plugs for 20 seconds or so.

I hope you get this figured out - sounds like something isn't right, either with the truck or the tuning. Do you have a stock transmission? How about intake or exhaust? Guages?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Im leaning towards something amiss as well.

I have full gauges, an AE, and fair amount of knowledge. Transmission was just rebuilt within the past 12 months. Standard rebuild. Nothing fancy. Fuel pressure is perfect, cyl contribution is perfect, plenty of HPOP pressure. I'd think the tunes were incorrect for stage 1s except stock runs fine. I'm hoping to hear from someone in the near future.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Seems to be a tunes problem. I love how php set me up and don't have the problems youre talking about.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, I have the same problem on performance set!On others positions, it was shifting too early and then back and forth... they say in their web site if you have a upgraded trane, as I do, we need another file. I am waiting they contact me and I will post it. I Just took the chip off and got back my old Flashpaq. Also I had the white smoke in the morning.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 AM

I had been thinking about one of these chips for a while but hadn't given it much thought seeing that i dont really do a lot of towing. But after reading their website it sounds like the "Switch-on-the-Fly Six-Postion Chip" has a lot of applications and can benefit even if you dont tow a lot. that said, it is worth the money if you do mostly in town and highway driving? I am getting ready to install a 6" lift, with 35" tires - would that mean i would benefit MORE from the 6 position chip or LESS? or the SAME. Not trying to hijack this thread, just wondering everyone's thought in this situation

thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Mitch

You will hear this from a lot of people but the chips that have custom tunes on them (like PHP, DP, TW) really wake the truck up. There are daily driver tunes, performance tunes, and a bunch of towing tunes. I would suggest you get one but only if you have guages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.