Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Falls Chruch
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PHP Phoenix and stage 1s. Auto 4x4.
I've posted about the issues on the PHP forum with no response as of yet. Its not the easiest process getting in touch with Power Hungry. It appears PHPs tune engages the TC on the downshift at 40mph. Its pretty sudden and sharp. I'm wondering if others have noticed it.
Copy and paste from my PHP Post:
I just installed a phoenix chip on my 01 with a set of used stage 1s. The initial run ran fantastic on the stock setting. I drove it for about a half hour and switched to 80 at a stop light. The engine stalled out.
I could restart the truck and it runs fine in the stock, 65 tow and 1100 idle settings but 80, 120 and 140 stalled out the truck. The same 80, 120 and 140 have gobs of power if im cruising, but it stalled at a stop.
While troubleshooting, i removed and reseated the chip. The stall out issue has not occurred since. However, I have noticed that the stock setting seems to idle and drive much nicer than the 80, though the 80 has significantly more on the top end. Basically the 80, 120 and 140 seem slightly lethargic down low in the rpms and idle very "lobey".
Since the seating of the board seemed to fix the stall issue, im wondering if the low performance of the same tunes is still related to a poor connection. I tinned the traces today and there is no difference in the performance of the chip
I also noticed a significant down shift while coasting (at 40 mph) that feels like someone jabbed the brakes. There is a feeling of resistance from that downshift to a complete stop. This is not the case on the stock tune.
I have an AE and can report back on any tests. I'd appreciate some ideas on what to check.
Added info: Tried to start the truck today with outside temps in the 40s. It would not start in 80dd, just blew white smoke. Started up in stock just fine - billowing a big cloud of white after the attempted starts in 80 dd.
I warmed the truck up and clicked to 80dd. The truck stalled out. Restarted in stock and tried again - the rpms dropped but the truck recovered.
Ive hooked it to my AE. All tests come back with no issues, no codes (except for #3 and #8 failing the contribution tests with 3% and 4.5% respectively. Perfect numbers for the new CPS). I'm able to maintain 3000 PSI for quite some time at WOT.
Nonconformist. Functionality over bling.
My three rules for 7.3l troubleshooting: 1) Replace CPS and keep a spare. 2) Replace FPR and know your fuel pressure. 3) Hook it to a scanner and check for codes.
Last edited by audiocontr; 04-11-2012 at 05:34 AM.