couple questions/thoughts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
couple questions/thoughts

just bought an 01 with 109,000 miles.i drove first 140 miles no oil loss.drove last friday for 120 miles on highway and on throttle alot harder checked oil saturday and down a quart?i immediately started checking for leaks no major puddles sitting at idle?
1.filter minder read new filter.checked it it was crusty as antything.so i replaced that checked ccv ad cleaned.could i pull that much oil through ccv with a bad filter?
2front of engine valley bon dry so im assuming hpop no leaking.
3.looked at exaust no oily residue no smoke.
4.where turbo mounts to pedistal dry.but epbv rod coming out of pedistal has a build up on it like it may be leaking but running in driveway no drips coming out that i could see.
5no puddles in rear of valley but its damp withwhat do you think my problem may be?i do plan on spraying valley and epbv rod down with cleaner to check more.ive done lots of reasearch lately but this is my first diesel.
soory so long.thanks for any help apperciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

If you lost a quart in 120 miles, you would have oil on the driveway and it would be all under the truck. If you have build up on the ebpv rod then it's leaking, I just rebuilt mine two weeks ago. Mine got to the point I had oil puddling in the valley under the turbo and draining out the back of the motor onto the starter. That's where oil in the valley drains to because there is a hole in the rear of the valley on the passenger side to make it do so. The 7.3 will burn 1 quart in 5000 miles just so you know. Add the quart, clean the engine really good with degreaser, after it dries let it idle for 15-20 minutes and look for oil to show up constantly. You will need a mirror to check around the hpop. If nothing shows up, drive it down the road getting on it pretty good, then check for oil leaks again. If you still don't see anything, you don't have a significant leak.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Check the overflow container for the engine coolant.
Make sure engine oil isnt getting in there.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM

checked the overflow container and the fuel filter no oil.the only oil in the valley is under the turbo.im gonna degrease it tonite and check it.
thanks for the replies.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Ya know just a thought, did you let it sit long enough for all the oil to get back into the oil pan?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:10 PM

yes it set overnite.what gets me is first 120 or so no oil loss.i got on it good friday then it went down it seems.a cleaned it up good gonna let it dry till tommorrow nite then check it.
just a thought my air filter was badly clogged up.my filter meter isnt working either.is there any way possible to pull that through the ccv? last nite only 1 drip in over 5 minutes minutes accumulated at the hole on plate in front of tranny.
i
Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM

just looked i do have a few oil splatters on driveshaft and rear diff. so i have a leak somewhere.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM

well couldnt wait i drove it and left idle for a total of 1 hour and no oil in valley at all.no drips underneath?checked for blowby and none.when you rev it up you get a puff of faint white smoke?not a heavy oil burn smell though.no signs of oil on tailpipe either.guess ill just drive it and keep an eye on it for now.any other thoughts?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM

if it was burning that much due to turbo going out or something like that it would smoke like crazy and be practicaly dripping out exhaust right?thanks again for the help. maybe im just being overly paranoid.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM

At 109k miles she's just getting broken in good! From what you said so far you do have a small leak somewhere. Just keep an eye on it. I would bet you will make it through the summer. When it starts getting cold again the leaks will gets worse. Just my experience. For roughly $200 you can buy all the gaskets and orings you will need to fix all the possible leaks on top of the motor and not to difficult to do yourself. I did all of mine and it was a first for me, just do the research. Check out dieselorings.com. As for the whiteish smoke, you may have injector orings going out, injectors should be fine, just orings. I have not had this issue yet as mine are still stock, maybe someone else will help you out with this one. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.