Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need Purchasing Advice on 2001 Powerstroke 7.3

974 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kayaker 
#1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a 2001 with almost 140,000 miles. The exterior is in really good shape. The occasional scratch here and there, but extremely straight with no major dents. The interior is in great shape. I'm not too concerned with the engine as so many people rave about the reliability of the 7.3. The only concern here is the turbo. It is a golden color? I read some where this is a bad sign? Can someone confirm this?

My main concern is with the transmission. All seems well, but reading so much about the mechanical diode failure has me a little gun shy. The price is $9,600, which seems to be a really good deal and leaves plenty of room for repair cost? He has documentation from the dealership since he has owned it. He is the second owner and has owned it for the past 100k miles and last 8 years.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
It's most likely the stock garret turbo. Mine is a gold color I think. If it runs good. Starts up cold good and the oil pan isnt rotted you are good. Take the intake tube off the turbo and look at the wheel blades. If there all pitted and stuff it's dusted. That's not good that means the turbo was sucking in dirty air. If it had a k&n intake that is why.

That's the main things to look at. If those all check out good then the truck should be solid

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
I can't comment on the turbo but i have an '02, turbo on mine is not gold. I bought it at about 160k miles in 2009... Has 260K miles now and still going strong...Like another posted said, if all that checks out with turbo then truck should be solid

#4 ·
If the trans shifts good now you SHOULD be ok, but you can never tell with th 4r100s :confused:

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I crawled underneath and everything look as it should. I'll give it a once over to make sure. I'll be sure to pull the intake tube off and inspect.
I'm pretty sure the turbo is stock. It was a GARRETT. The y intake was gold as well. So maybe they did have a gold variation in some years. I know all the ones i've seen in the past were all grey.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.