Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2000 7.3 Trade for Dually... Should I?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ianstew 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 7.3 with about 190k miles on it. It has a dp tuner with 7 tunes, nice pioneer sound system with a 12, 6 inch lift, undercover bedcover, 06 front end, 48 aux tank, and a bunch of other stuff.

I am about to get my dealers license and begin buying and selling cars and I was thinking about getting a 3 car hauler. Should I trade my truck for a dually to do the towing or just keep my truck? Does the 4 wheels in the back really make that much of a difference, and what are the gas mileage differences between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton truck?

#2 ·
You'll possibly have better gearing in the diff, and a different spring package over the rear axle.
I'm not sure about DRW v. SRW cause I've only towed with a dually.

#3 ·
A couple of things. The lift kit may not help you with a 5th wheel hitch and a 3 car hauler. And you will be over weight on both GVWR and rear axle weight on the SRW 250 or 350. You will be pushing the GVWR and rear axle weight on a F350 DRW with a 3 car hauler. You will also be much happier with the added stability of the DRW. I have a 2000 F350 DRW and pull a 16k empty 5th wheel travel trailer. I need every bit of that F350 DRW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.