Starting weird - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting weird

I took my truck into the dealership for a fuel leak, I didn't have time to mess with it and had them do a coolant and tranny flush. I put new batteries and gpr a while ago. It was starting great super fast, but now it has been really sluggish almost like the batteries are dead or gpr isn't working. So, is my starter going bad or did those a-holes screw something up. I noticed the yanked my red waste gate line out of the plug and my truck is leaking coolant. So it's going back today should I have them look at it?

Sent from my iPhone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

I would - No telling what happened to other stuff while they were working the previous issue.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Ya they clearly weren't very gentle. I'm thinking maybe they didn't hook up my gpr very well since the difficulty of starting seems dependent on temp. More or less

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Leaking coolant? Your oil cooler may be the culprit for that. Take a look and youll see if its leaking. Usually they will only leak when cold.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 PM

They diagnosed it today saying that it was coming from the thermostat and housing area and thought it could be a bad water pump too. Well I didn't believe them since I put a diesel site and 203 t-stat in. So I told them to clean the area and see if they could get it to seal.

What do you guys think I should do? Replace the the water pump and thermostat?

Also, they think my starter is going bad but were going to tell me once they actually diagnosed it.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 AM

I would do your own diagnosis! a coolant leak shouldn't be too hard to find. doesn't mean you have to do the job but at least you will know what needs done.

quit taking your truck to those butt pirates. It is apparent that they don't know what they are doing or at least don't respect your property.

your engine should crank relatively the same speed regardless of the condition of the gp circuit so, does it crank slow or start hard? there is a difference.

If it is cranking slow then I would look into the starter circuit including, BATTERIES, starter solenoid, ALL cables and connections including the grounds on the block, and last but not least, the starter.

If it is starting hard, well, I will just wait for an answer! lol
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clean the connections first then have the batteries checked. Just be sure you disconnect and test them individually. Leaving them connected together will give a false read.

If that don't fix it then have the starter tested. They do get weak over time. Keep in mind that advance auto can't test these starters. Their machine isn't strong enough. Try an actual starter shop.

If you need a new one get the three bolt model even if you have the two bolt. They're bigger, stronger and last longer. That's my .02 from experience.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.