New member: mpg question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member: mpg question

Hello,
I'm considering buying a new toy and it happens to be an f-350. It's a '99, 7.3, single cab and looks really nice. It has a 10'' lift and 46'' Goodyear MVT's. I know that by no means is this truck going to be exactly sipping on the diesel. But I called the seller and asked about the mpg. He told me that he took a 250 mile trip on a half tank, along with a full size trailer that had a jeep on it. Half a tank would be 19 gal, so that comes out to about 13.2 mpg. 46'' tires, AND a full size trailer with a vehicle, that seems almost impossible to me. He does have a programmer type thing (I don't remember what brand or anything) with 12 settings and he says he keeps it on the 4th setting for fuel economy. I don't know if that will help you all out or not, but I thought I'd mention it. He also has lots of upgrades, gears, intake, etc etc, that could possibly help with fuel. But that number for mpg still seems kind of high. Or is it really possible with the right upgrades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's certainly possible depending on how hard you run it. These trucks can potentially see upwards of 25 mpg. Everyone Seems a little bit different though.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnot View Post
It's certainly possible depending on how hard you run it. These trucks can potentially see upwards of 25 mpg. Everyone Seems a little bit different though.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
But did you see where I mentioned that the truck has 46" Goodyear MVT's? Along with a chip/programmer, and other performance upgrades like exhaust, regear, etc. is that mileage possible? Or is this guy just lying to me? I really like the truck, but I am new to the F-series, powerstrokes, superdituies, etc, so I am clueless.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

46" tires hauling all that weight and a trailer hooked up...

IMO it will luckily see 10...

Unless he regeared it to match perfectly... But 46"

I just have a hard time believing that... Did he say that running empty on 46's he gets 20 MPG too
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post

46" tires hauling all that weight and a trailer hooked up...

IMO it will luckily see 10...

Unless he regeared it to match perfectly... But 46"

I just have a hard time believing that... Did he say that running empty on 46's he gets 20 MPG too
That's what he said, 250 miles on a half tank. You're saying 10mpg loaded or unloaded? I know it's not going to get great mpg, but I wondered what you all thought And what I should expect. I have no clue, that's why I'm asking you guys. Are there any members with 46'' tires?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

I said probably 10-11 MPG Loaded

It will probably get 13-15 MPG empty
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

But i guess who knows... It might be a beast and get 13mpg loaded.... Man every time I write that i cringe thinking how the H3ll can that be
Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just saying "I did this that and the other and the fuel gauge only dropped to 1/2" means little to nothing. Can anyone say for sure what size tank is in there or if the sender is reading correctly? Nope Only way to know is to fill...run...fill....calc and then do it again.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by towrig49 View Post
Just saying "I did this that and the other and the fuel gauge only dropped to 1/2" means little to nothing. Can anyone say for sure what size tank is in there or if the sender is reading correctly? Nope Only way to know is to fill...run...fill....calc and then do it again.
I know, I'm just going by this guy's word. I looked up the truck and it's supposed to be a 38 gal tank. And actually, most vehicles still have a gallon or two left when you hit the E line. And I have no way of testing or manually calculating this myself. The truck is a little over an hour away and I don't think he would like me test driving it and using the whole tank to guess mpg lol
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pulling my jeep on a car hauler, 70 - 75 mph on the highway with cruise set, I get 11 - 12. Stock drivetrain and 265 tires. I just can't see 13. But I bet the truck looks bad a$$ though. Post a picture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.