Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Parking brake pedal popped and lost bite

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Zaairman 
#1 ·
Just as the subject line said. Saturday at the ramp, I had to give the parking brake pedal all she had to hold my rig on the ramp. In doing so, I heard and felt and distinct pop and the pedal lost all tension. From what I read, it could be a snapped cable, or slipped teeth. Any recommendations on where to begin my examination. Truck is a 6-speed, so as you can imagine, I need the parking brake. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
If you snapped a cable it's likely you lost your ratchet in the process, they can unwind internally if the tension is let of of them suddenly. Have a peak underneath and see for sure. It's not a bad idea to replace your front and intermediate cables regardless of which one is broke. Same goes for the ratchet assembly, I usually try and get them all at once. Cables stretch and ratchets wear out.

There's different intermediate cables for different wheel bases so have that number handy when you order one

#3 ·
Dude, stick your head under your truck and look at the cable. You'll know quickly what your problem is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.