Is My Tune Safe? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is My Tune Safe?

Hey guys,
Truck is a 99.5 as far as I can tell. The truck came with a Superchip from around 10 years ago. I called Superchips and they discontinued the tuner and say that the tune can't be updated. I am just checking to see if you all think I should just run with it or if I should look into a new tuner. The main concern is smoke related. I don't care about making a cloud that blocks the sun. But I figured some should come out if it is tuned. I see very little to none when I get on the go pedal. I just understand that as lean.... Truck has Bully Dog intake and turbo back exhaust. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 AM

Superchips tune isn't gunna do anything for your tranny. Better off getting it flashed and get a new tuner with some custom tunes imo. Might not smoke a lot depending on what tune the original owner was using

Sent from my VS910 4G
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A BTS kit is on the way along with a 6.0 cooler. I run synthetic in it and really don't push the thing that much. I am ok with the trans for now. The Superchip has a tow safe and extreme tune. The previous owner had it in extreme all the time. I keep it in tow safe and the EGTs seem rather low if the gauge is correct.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My .02c

Same boat with my 00350 DRW. 10yr/old Superchip tow chip. I pull a 15k fifth wheel travel trailer. I was not happy with the shift points of the SC and decided to go with PHP Phoenix chip.

What took me so long to change. Holy crap what a difference.

Shift points perfect, TCC lockup was spot on target, not too much smoke but more than the SC.

DO IT now.

.02c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsurage View Post
Hey guys,
Truck is a 99.5 as far as I can tell. The truck came with a Superchip from around 10 years ago. I called Superchips and they discontinued the tuner and say that the tune can't be updated. I am just checking to see if you all think I should just run with it or if I should look into a new tuner. The main concern is smoke related. I don't care about making a cloud that blocks the sun. But I figured some should come out if it is tuned. I see very little to none when I get on the go pedal. I just understand that as lean.... Truck has Bully Dog intake and turbo back exhaust. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys!

towrig49 what did you end up doing with your old tuner?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have it on my desk.

BTW, I used Kenny from KTPerformance. One of PHPs distributors due to the office shut down. Kenny offers 6 months of free changes to the Phoenix if you want to switch tunes. Talk about fast service. Kenny had the chip burnt and on Fedex in 1 hr and I had the box the next day. Wow.

And before I forget. I also have the ATS transmission upgrade in my 00/350 DRW and it was shifting harsh with the old Superchips. I had concerns that the PHP tunes would make it shift even harder. NOT the case at all. The shifts are firm but not too harsh. All around the shifts and TCC are feeling just right.

.02c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.