Early '99 ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early '99 ?

Is there any significant issue or difference in the early '99 PSD vs the late 99-2000 models? Any reason to stay away from the early 99's?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not that I know of... There's not much difference between them. They have a slightly different turbo wheel I know and v8 powerstroke fender badges instead of on the door. I'm sure there are other things... But I don't know all of them. No reason to stay away though, It has a 7.3 i say buy it!
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Yes. Biggest differences are the Hpop is a little smaller(15* vs17*), the front suspension is a little different. The Turbo pedistal is shorter, and the up pipes off the manifolds are shorter. The Turbo they say is smaller in the early, but I don't think so, and cannot find size differences. The e99 has the wicked wheel as standard issue. The later model went to a different wheel. The intakes to the heads are a little over 2 inches in the early, and they are 3 inches in the late,
Pcm is different,

I have an early and I don't consider it bad, the later models have a larger amount of drop in parts, ESP when it comes to turbos, and intakes, and the y pipe coming form the Turbo( cfm+intake). You can usually find the parts to swap one over to later model specs, but if you have the chance you might as well get a later 99 and be done with it. There is a thread that's a sticky in the the early 99 section, its alot of info. But its a good read.
Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Compression Ignition Addict

Differences between early99 and late99-03 trucks

Triple post attack.
I click post, and I have to go way down the page to find mine.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

There is the thread I was talking about.....

Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks, I did read and print that info earlier. As long as there aren't any " stay the hell away from the early 99's" out there I won't worry about it. I've had 2 PSD's and my last 2 trucks have been CTD's. Love that Cummins but for what I can afford now I am coming back to Ford to get a real cab, CC. I would like to get the 7.3 to the power levels of my '06 CTD 6 sp which had a tuner, 75hp, and 5" TB exhaust. Is that a reasonable goal, ie $$$$, or too much too ask for on a budget, say 2k. I will not be looking for or purchasing an auto trans. Ha, I said that with the 99 CTD I bought last fall but I ended up with one!!!

Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Oh heck no, you won't get close to that power level on 2 grand.

You are looking at hybrid 238-250 CC injectors which can be 2000 or more alone. Then comes Turbo, which can range from 1450 for a 38 r up to 2500 for a complete modded h2e( better) Turbo, them comes fuel system at 750, and then a high pressure oil pump at 600, and guages and custom tuning which the skys the limit here, exhaust and intake can run you 600 combined. That's new prices for each of that stuff and some of my figures may be a little off. But they are close. Its not cheap at all to make 500 rwhp on a 7.3. You can make 400 pretty easily, but the jump from there will cost you. And if you are pushing 500, you might as well add valve springs, pushrods and studs, which if you do yourself, the parts alone will cost you a grand. Before you know it, its a freak in money pit.....ask me how I know, hahahahahahaa

Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Not looking for 500 hp at the wheels. Closer to say 325-350. That's about what my '06 CTD was and it was plenty for what I did.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Oh, well, yeah for 2 grand you can get guages, a good 4-6 position chip, exhaust, intake and have money left over and get that. I didn't know exactly what tpower level you were talking about. Just fyi, I have a d66(66 mm Turbo) stage 2 160cc injectors, conservative tuning from PHP, adrenalin hpop fuel pressure regulator spring intake and exhaust and I made the numbers in my sig. My truck probably has 450/1000( or that's what im going for) in it with aggressive tuning,

Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 PM

Is there a different power output for the 99-2000 std trans models like the 01-03? I think the later was 275hp ilo 250hp for the autos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.