towing a trailer with tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
towing a trailer with tunes

hi everyone im wondering whats the best method to tow a 10,000lb trailer, i have tony wildman custom tunes with light tow and extreme tow tunes. Now im not sure yet if i like them tunes yet, while i was towing my trailer i was experimenting with the tunes to see what i like and the differences. i notice with lite tow it raised the rpms more to even get into over drive and with extreme it raised the rpms alot more all the way to 2500 before it shift into over drive. so i mostly stuck with everyday driving tune cuz it pulled it just fine and got in over drive easy and stayed in place. Now while experimenting i watched my gauges and notice with economy tune my egts were only 100 deg hotter but with 500 and plus rpms less, now with tow tunes i read 100 deg cooler and 2400 rpms give or take to stay at 55mph. now can some of you shed some light onto this and tell me whats the healthiest thing to do here and do i need to change my tunes at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your doing the right thing, watch your gauges and adjust accordingly! Use Econ for lighter loads and tow modes for heavier stuff. Just watch the gauges, you'll know when something is off then and you can make changes until everything is back in check.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM

now whats healthier? tow with 100 degrees more in egt with 500 rpm less or 100 degrees egts less and 500 rpms more?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Both are far below any extreme so....I'd say just use the tow tune, probably better for the transmission to shift later/higher and lug the drivetrain less.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM

it sucks i cant read my tranny temps cuz my guage i believe is reading the temps off the metal and not the oil, damn universal sunpro guage set up wouldnt fit in the hole so had to modify it till i can drill into my pan. ive read of people putting 6 speed manuals in there trucks can you put a 6 speed auto in our trucks?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

You can, cheaper to buy a 4R100 trans from John wood or BTS. Anything is possible with enough money.

Just use tow tune, get your gauges squared away sooner than later and drive more, worry less. Until something breaks, then cry and pull out the wallet. 4r100 is half way sturdy trans. Valve body and 6.0 cooler help and custom tunes too... If it is working good and you do regular fluid changes you should be fine.

Last edited by rt_hawk; 03-28-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Havnt done a tranny fluid change but it's on my list, only had the truck for 10,000 miles worth and has 165,000 now so she's looking at one soon. Another question is 6 speed better then the 5 I would think it would be, but is there a big difference?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM

I don't think a 6 is all that different, you get a lower 1st...other than that very similar gearing to a 5 speed IIRC.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 AM

most of the time with a 5 or 6 you have the same ratio in the highest gear. so it's mostly do you just want more lower end gears.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM

lower end would always help with taking off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.