Sway bar clunk, need help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sway bar clunk, need help!

Got this awful clunk when making turns or on uneven ground. Pretty much narrowed it down to the sway bars (front and rear), I hope lol! Tried replacing all bushings with energy poly ones, no help! Was thinking maybe longer drop links since my 01 has a 6" kit on it? Already running drop links that came with my kit, bar ends not parralel to ground, would this be a problem or could it be somewhere else? Need some help guyz, thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd remove the sway bar to see if in fact that it is the source of the noise. I'm thinking its not.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 AM

Having the same issue. I'll let you know if I find anything you can check.

I found the track bar bracket cracked. Welded it up but still having the same issue.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like ball joints to me. I had the same issue and thought it was sway bar end links but it wasn't. 4 ball joints later the noise is gone.

Do you know how to check if the b-joints are bad?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM

I did my ball joints and still have the clunk. Hope it's something cheap and easy we both haven't found.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM

I determined on my truck that it is the connection through the chassis. The hole in the chassis and the mount that the bolt go through are both elongated slightly which leaves room for movement. When enough energy is exerted the bolt moves in that elongated hole and "bumps" the chassis. At some point I am going to tack weld the nuts to the chassis so this doesn't happen any more. For now I just torqued them way beyond spec and haven't had any noises or broke bolts yet.......fingers crossed.

Might check your body mounts too.....mine make a similar noise to the end links.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Just check ALL bolts to make sure they are tight. My trac bar was popping when I turned creating a popping/clunking noise at slow speeds in turns and uneven pavement. After i tightened the bolt, no more noise. And all it took me was finding the right size socket.

Could be something as simple as a loose bolt. So go check EVERY bolt on all your bars to make sure they're tight and on there.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ya check bolts and all bushings up front. Mine clunked like that and had broken bolts on track bar bracket. Then it come back like 3 months later and it was the track bar bushings. I just bought a adjustable track bar since I leveled the truck now.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Mine does the same thing, havent fixed it yet but found some wore lower shock bushings check them too but anytime i have a clunk or rattle I check shocks, sway bar and track bar. Then if its not any of them go to checking the tightness of all suspension bolts.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM

I guess I am having the same roblem you guys are. Mainly when I drop off a curb/truck flexing. Checked end link bushings and they were shot. I replaced all end link and sway bar bushings. All tie rod ends and track bar just for the fact that they were the origional ones (almost 300,000 miles) new shocks. And I still have the noise.

I feel like the only thing left to check are spring/shackle bushing and bolts. I have replaced both front hubs and ball joints twice only thing else that has not been replaced on front end are the u-joints at the hubs, but there is no play in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.