Sway bar clunk, need help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sway bar clunk, need help!

Got this awful clunk when making turns or on uneven ground. Pretty much narrowed it down to the sway bars (front and rear), I hope lol! Tried replacing all bushings with energy poly ones, no help! Was thinking maybe longer drop links since my 01 has a 6" kit on it? Already running drop links that came with my kit, bar ends not parralel to ground, would this be a problem or could it be somewhere else? Need some help guyz, thanks!!!

01 6 speed
AFE Stage II
4" DP to 5" Straight pipe
DP Tuner
6" on 35's
post #2 of 10 Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd remove the sway bar to see if in fact that it is the source of the noise. I'm thinking its not.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust system, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 AM

Having the same issue. I'll let you know if I find anything you can check.

I found the track bar bracket cracked. Welded it up but still having the same issue.

Early 99 F250 King Ranch conversion C.C. 4x4, BTS Tranny w/ 6.0 cooler, DP-Tuner, 06 Frontend conversion, ISSPRO Gauges, AFE Stage 2 w/Pro Gaurd, 4" MBRP exhaust, 4" SuperLift, Bilstein Shocks, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, 20" BMF Novakane Death Metals. RuffStock Front Replacement WrapAround, Rear Bumper & Headache Rack. Kenwood Excelon DVD/Sirius/Ipod/Video Deck, 12" flipdown monitor in the back, JL Audio Subs, Boston Components,1200 Watts of Power. Pre Pump Mod.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like ball joints to me. I had the same issue and thought it was sway bar end links but it wasn't. 4 ball joints later the noise is gone.

Do you know how to check if the b-joints are bad?

Jason

O.T.F.D. Volunteer 19

Great White - 2003 7.3l F-250 4x4 CCSB -102,000 miles and tickin
DIY intake - 4" Straight pipe - HPX - CAT ELC - 203 t stat - billet t stat housing - coolant filter - dual alt radiator hose - 12V Air compressor - 5 gallon air tank - Air line quick connects - AIR HORNS!

Hers: 2013 VW Jetta TDI

post #5 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM

I did my ball joints and still have the clunk. Hope it's something cheap and easy we both haven't found.

Early 99 F250 King Ranch conversion C.C. 4x4, BTS Tranny w/ 6.0 cooler, DP-Tuner, 06 Frontend conversion, ISSPRO Gauges, AFE Stage 2 w/Pro Gaurd, 4" MBRP exhaust, 4" SuperLift, Bilstein Shocks, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, 20" BMF Novakane Death Metals. RuffStock Front Replacement WrapAround, Rear Bumper & Headache Rack. Kenwood Excelon DVD/Sirius/Ipod/Video Deck, 12" flipdown monitor in the back, JL Audio Subs, Boston Components,1200 Watts of Power. Pre Pump Mod.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM

I determined on my truck that it is the connection through the chassis. The hole in the chassis and the mount that the bolt go through are both elongated slightly which leaves room for movement. When enough energy is exerted the bolt moves in that elongated hole and "bumps" the chassis. At some point I am going to tack weld the nuts to the chassis so this doesn't happen any more. For now I just torqued them way beyond spec and haven't had any noises or broke bolts yet.......fingers crossed.

Might check your body mounts too.....mine make a similar noise to the end links.

2014 F150 SCREW XLT 4x4 Ecoboost.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Just check ALL bolts to make sure they are tight. My trac bar was popping when I turned creating a popping/clunking noise at slow speeds in turns and uneven pavement. After i tightened the bolt, no more noise. And all it took me was finding the right size socket.

Could be something as simple as a loose bolt. So go check EVERY bolt on all your bars to make sure they're tight and on there.

Tony Smith

2006 F250 Fummins with Allison Transmission
Fully loaded with all the goodies

Dreaming of: Injectors, Twin turbos, Dual cp3s, and all new custom tunes

Planning for: 2011+ front end conversion and American Force rims
post #8 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ya check bolts and all bushings up front. Mine clunked like that and had broken bolts on track bar bracket. Then it come back like 3 months later and it was the track bar bushings. I just bought a adjustable track bar since I leveled the truck now.

04 F-250 FX4.
Sct X2 with tunes from Gearhead
Zoodad mod
High idle mod
Straight pipe exhaust
BDS leveling kit
Stage 1 intake
post #9 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Mine does the same thing, havent fixed it yet but found some wore lower shock bushings check them too but anytime i have a clunk or rattle I check shocks, sway bar and track bar. Then if its not any of them go to checking the tightness of all suspension bolts.

Chad

35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's
4" MBRP Turbo back exhaust with miter cut stacks
Sinister EGR delete
ARP Studs and oil cooler rebuild
DieselSite Turbo Boots
DieselSite Coolant filter kit
Stage 3 Tranny kit with Billet Dual Disc TC
post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM

I guess I am having the same roblem you guys are. Mainly when I drop off a curb/truck flexing. Checked end link bushings and they were shot. I replaced all end link and sway bar bushings. All tie rod ends and track bar just for the fact that they were the origional ones (almost 300,000 miles) new shocks. And I still have the noise.

I feel like the only thing left to check are spring/shackle bushing and bolts. I have replaced both front hubs and ball joints twice only thing else that has not been replaced on front end are the u-joints at the hubs, but there is no play in them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode