DB starter / Stancor GPR install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DB starter / Stancor GPR install

Hey guys, just got done installing my new DB HT starter and Stancor GPR in the truck today. Wow, that starter is a hugeeeeee Pain in the A$$ ! For anyone thinking about doing this, its almost 2x as big as ur stock starter. before you get frustrated, just make sure you measure to see if the starter will fit in with your crossmember there. Mine of course did not, i did some reading and some guys were lucky enough that theirs did. Just my kinda luck. So, put the tooth side in the appropriate spot and then slide the back end up toward the crossmember (steel metal beam) the back end of the starter on my truck hit and wouldnt let it slide up into place. I tried every which way to avoid having to grind it, but let me make a suggestion... DONT WAIST YOUR TIME... CUT THE DAMN THING... its the only way! I wasted like 2+ hrs trying to get around it and just got completely frustrated. After a hr or so of grinding w an angle grinder i cut the piece off and it fit. That sucker is heavy to, so I would STRONGLY suggest an extra set of hands to help you out...I had to do it myself so I got a little inventive and used a jack and the old starter on top of it (bc of the space btwn the 2) and it worked out perfect! held it exactly where i needed to thread the bolts into place. There are only 2 bolts that hold it on. Let me just say had a beer after that was done. The Stancor GPR was fairly easy, just follow Guggle's instructions and you'll be good to go. Sorry for draggin this out, but I do have a question...I went to start my truck and it just clicked...sounded like the batteries were dead at first then i got pissed and just turned the key a few times, it clicked like 2-3 times and then fired right up?!?!?!? and very strong with the new DB starter (what a major improvement over that NAPA one). So i turned it off and tried again and the same thing, 2-3 key turns and then turned right over? Do you guys think my batteries are to weak for the new starter? or any other suggestions?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well, I hate to sat it. I would guess the solenoid on the new starter is sticking.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put the Stancor in a month ago. Hopefully no more dead GPRs.

The DB starter cranks a lot faster. I had one on my truck for 2 years. Then it died and shorted to ground stranding me and killing the batteries... I was not happy. It was out of warranty of course. I went with a lifetime Autozone starter instead. Doesn't crank as fast, but I can get a replacement easily.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Make sure you didn't over torque the nut on the positive starter solenoid. I torqued it too much and the bolt started twisting and it cracked the terminal right out of the solenoid. so they replaced it and my install took about 10 minutes and has been working GREAT ever since i installed it three weeks ago.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:42 AM

Ya, I.really hope its not a dud starter after all of that. I will check my positive hookup on it to make sure that's all in place as its supposed to be. Thanks . If anyone else has any other suggestions before I start looking over it pls let me know, Thx
Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

could you have grounded the starter or the cable out on the frame?

you could have gottten a mini torque starter and gotten the same starting ability without a HUGE starter. I have never heard of a this strter....
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM

I've been doing a little more research on guys having the same problems, I think I might try replacing the starter solenoid (some call it the starter relay) on the pass. side firewall in side the engine compartment. Its only like a $12 part, so hopefully that will be my issue. It's weird...sometimes it starts right up on first turn of the key...other times it take a few turns. Guess its just gonna be trial n error...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

at least its a cheap trial and error. LOL
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've installed two of these starters on my truck in the past two months and now the second one is clicking. Won't start...won't even try! It is a piece of junk that hopefully I can get my money back on. The customer service has been pretty go so far though so that is an upside. I don't think all the trucks have the relay. Mine is an '03 and I can't seem to find one. One more thing, new batteries don't help anything!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM

In my truck, the switch on the clutch pedal (if you have a stick tranny) doesn't work if I put the pedal clear to the floor. Let it out half an inch, and it fires right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.