NEW to me 2000 Lariat 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PEI Canada
Posts: 1,699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEW to me 2000 Lariat 4x4

just bought a 2000 lariat 4x4 6 speed ext cab, 215,xxx KMS to replace my 96 obs i sold.

anyone know were to get a hub conversion kit for the front of a super duty? like the free wheeling hubs that were on the OBS? and what year rims will fit my 2000 ?
or should i just buy a set of aftermarket rims ? if so were's the best place?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rosenberg/Baytown TX
Posts: 1,348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
nice truck. i went with warn premium locking hubs on mine since the vac system stopped working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PEI Canada
Posts: 1,699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjake11 View Post
nice truck. i went with warn premium locking hubs on mine since the vac system stopped working.
mine will go in and out of gear on there own in 2 hi just driving down the highway, its annoying to say the least
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rosenberg/Baytown TX
Posts: 1,348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sounds like theyre sticking. if your fine with out having auto locking then go for the warns. mine were under 250 for the set iirc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PEI Canada
Posts: 1,699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjake11 View Post
sounds like theyre sticking. if your fine with out having auto locking then go for the warns. mine were under 250 for the set iirc
thanks, i;ll check into them, i'm def fine with out auto locking hubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Martinsville, West Virginia
Posts: 2,560
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the standard Warn hubs on my yellow truck, and have not been pleased... a snap ring on the back of them came off, causeing them to not lock in... fine, aside from the fact I had a tractor on the trailer, headed up a steep gravel road when it happened, and I REALLY needed 4x4 at the time... backing off the hill was alot of fun... NOT!

I hear Mile Marker hubs are quite good, and lower cost. I plan to get them for my red truck at some point, an early '99 clone to yours... which is a nice truck, by the way.

You asked about a kit "like the free wheeling hubs that were on the OBS"... were you refering to the lock-out hubs only, or the whole spindle/wheel berring/rotor assembly? That's the major diffrence in these trucks, the unit berrings used on the super dutys is not the fixed spindle/ rotating hub with adjustable tapered berrings like the old trucks. There is a kit that converts superdutys to that style hub/berring, but not normally needed unless you are lifted and big tires over 35's. Also cost about $1800, but it includes the lock out hubs! And the unit berrings, which can be had for around $180/ea. are easy as pie to change.

The wheels on your truck are odd... not the standard 8 bolt on 6.5" bolt circle that has been used for years on 3/4 and 1 tons, but an odd 8 bolt on 170mm specific to the superdutys... so wheels from '99 to '04 will fit your truck, in '05 they changed the back spaceing, and even though the bolt pattern is the same, without spacers, the tires sits too far inside the wheel well if you put newer wheels on the older trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PEI Canada
Posts: 1,699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
I have the standard Warn hubs on my yellow truck, and have not been pleased... a snap ring on the back of them came off, causeing them to not lock in... fine, aside from the fact I had a tractor on the trailer, headed up a steep gravel road when it happened, and I REALLY needed 4x4 at the time... backing off the hill was alot of fun... NOT!

I hear Mile Marker hubs are quite good, and lower cost. I plan to get them for my red truck at some point, an early '99 clone to yours... which is a nice truck, by the way.

You asked about a kit "like the free wheeling hubs that were on the OBS"... were you refering to the lock-out hubs only, or the whole spindle/wheel berring/rotor assembly? That's the major diffrence in these trucks, the unit berrings used on the super dutys is not the fixed spindle/ rotating hub with adjustable tapered berrings like the old trucks. There is a kit that converts superdutys to that style hub/berring, but not normally needed unless you are lifted and big tires over 35's. Also cost about $1800, but it includes the lock out hubs! And the unit berrings, which can be had for around $180/ea. are easy as pie to change.

The wheels on your truck are odd... not the standard 8 bolt on 6.5" bolt circle that has been used for years on 3/4 and 1 tons, but an odd 8 bolt on 170mm specific to the superdutys... so wheels from '99 to '04 will fit your truck, in '05 they changed the back spaceing, and even though the bolt pattern is the same, without spacers, the tires sits too far inside the wheel well if you put newer wheels on the older trucks.

hey thanks for the reply!!

im looking to just get lock/unlocking hubs, as these ones on the truck now, seem to go in and out of gear on there own when ever they feel like just under normal driving down the highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central NY
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've heard vacuum leaks are hard to find if it's that. I have also seen the auto lock hubs are servicable. My auto lock knobs are chewed up and proken from trying to turn them loose with channel locks. If you make the switch and care to get rid of what you have let me know. I would like to take a shot at rebuilding as a little project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 409
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you really want the old style serviceable hubs contact Dynatrac they sell a conversion kit for both the 99-04 and 05+ superduties. Unfortunately it runs in excess of 2 grand now for the entire kit. I debated getting one for my 05 but could afford it. I just replaced my Unit bearing hubs because they were leaking pretty bad, I got mine from Rockauto.com they are Moog bearings and they ran 370 a piece. Ford wanted 585 a piece for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors