New 7.3 owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 7.3 owner

Boy after reading through some of the posts here I feel like a real dweebe. I mean, there are so many guys with so much knowledge: this forum is just awesome. My previous truck was a f-150. (Still have it 5.4 triton with 160K)

I recently bought a 2002 f-250 7.3 XLT 4x4 CC with leather, dual /power seats. 107K miles. I dont have any experience with diesels.

This truck is stock. I will be using it for my daily driver, around town driving, mostly, with some highway mixed in. When I do hit the highway its for 50+miles trips.

I would like to run the most efficient possible (MPG) and am considering the following. (please forgive this newbie's ignorance of acronym nomenclature)

Increase air intake and flow. Recommendations appreciated
Increase MPG......................What tuner /chip system will allow me to change on the fly.
Install temperature gauges. What you using? What do you recommend?

I also plan on taking it down some bumpy and wet country roads (not mudding). What kind of a lift can be installed while keeping the stock tires and at the same time not looking silly.

Thank you.

Last edited by brightlights; 03-12-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Newbie error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you - to the ORG!!

You definitely came to the right place - Lots of great info here.

Increase Air intake: Lots of CAI (cold air intake) kits out there. Many will say to stay away from oiled-cotton gauze filters. Many will recommend a DIY (do it yourself) intake. Search for "DIY intake", "6637".
Increase in MPG: Again, many tuners out there. Many will recommend what is referred to as non-canned tunes (something other than say Superchips, Hypertech) You'll get lots of recommendations.
Gauges: There are Autometer, Dipricol, Isspro to name some. I run Autometer and I have EGT (exhaust gas temp), Boost, and Trans temp) Different folks run different ones.

Lift kit: Can't help ya there, but many can.

Good luck!!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Shake and Bake!

Intake: The DIY intake is the cheapest, and for the cost it breathes really well.

MPG: I run "canned" tunes, and they are sometimes cheaper, but I have heard that many are not transmission safe. I have had no issues. Custom tunes are just that, custom. Flashed for your truck, your mods, etc... In the end - tunes, intake, and exhaust will be the major factors in you fuel mileage. (Other than how heavy your foot is) LOL

Gauges: Mechanical gauges are probably the most reliable, and SuperCruty named some good brands. I myself don't like the looks of a pod, and love digital chit! LOL A buddy of mine has an Edge Insight, and its pretty darn sweet.

Lifts: Don't have one yet, so anyone that can answer that, I'd like to know too.

I'm no pro, but there is a lot of information on these forums and some good people.

Welcome!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Emergency Services

As everyone has said do the DIY 6637 intake.

For tunes definitely get custom. PHP has my vote.

Gauges I would get ISSPRO but that's me. Definitely get boost trans and pyro.

Is the truck leveled already? Are the tires stock size? (265/70/16 I believe it is.)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah i would have to custom tunes would be the way to go, maybe a TW chip or PHP

Intake wise, i went with AFE stage 2 with the dry filter quite afew years ago, couldnt be happier

exhaust- any 4" turbo back setup will be plenty for your truck and give you that throaty sound

Lifts- i would have to say, superlifts, fabtech, donahoe racing lifts, and if you really want a nice ride, which will cost alot more money, step up and get the coilover conversion for these trucks, outstanding ride quality but it does cost alot more.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome new guy. Just curious, but why would you want to lift it and run stock size tires? You can run a 285/75/16 tires at stock height on stock rims. That tire will also provide great mileage.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 AM

Welcome!!!

I have another vote for the DIY/6637 air filter/intake... simple, easy to install, cheap, HUGE air flow diffrence. It's the first mod I make to my trucks. Straight pipe the exhuast too... air has to get out as much as it can get in... not unreasonable increase in noise, a chrome tip with some 'muffler' design that was on the shelf at the local parts store take the edge off to satisfy me, others will recomend a Walker BTM muffler, it's straight thru design, as large as the stock exhaust pipe, and flows good. The bottle neck is the stock muffler, goes from 3.5" pipe before, down to 2.5" at the muffler, back to 3.5 after it's out... dumb design.

I like the DP Tuner I have on my yellow truck... not too fond of the Edge Evo that came on the Excursion, it makes the trans shift funny, I plan to switch to a DP when the funds are availible. Have nothing on the red truck yet... like the Excursion, it's gonna get a DP when I can afford it.

Gauges are a must before any tunes... with the increased performance, and higher exhaust temps, you gotta know what's going on inside the motor. Summet sells a kit, 3 gauges (boost, EGT, trans temp), and piller pod, for about $330, worth it if you are ok with the increase in bliind spot of the 'A' piller. I have this on my yellow truck, not crazy about the blind spot, but it works, and I'm used to it now. It does put the gauges in an easy to see place.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress... how about some pictures of the new ride?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Welcome new guy. Just curious, but why would you want to lift it and run stock size tires? You can run a 285/75/16 tires at stock height on stock rims. That tire will also provide great mileage.
Thats a great point. I never thought of that. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM

The first thing I would do to the truck is let it BREATH!! A 6637 or tymar style intake. And a exhaust. I paid 340 for a 4 in turbo back and a nice tip. After you do both Drive the truck you will notice a difference diesel like to breath. That's what I would do and if you want then you can get gauges and a chip if you tow but if it's just around town and you dont want to go fast and blow smoke lol you don't need a chip.

As for mpg the exhaust and intake will give you maybe 1 or 2 more mpg but it depends on how you drive a chip says it will give you more mpg but some debate on it. I get around 14to 16 in town with a exhaust intake and dp tuner, maybe more now because of the tonneau. This is with 285's and a leveling kit

Exhaust and intake are a must. Then you can go from there if u want more

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont have a tonneau but I do have a rolling bed cover. ITs going to be a while before I get 285s. The truck came with near new Michelin 265s.

HUMM which comes first Chicken or the egg? Exhaust or Chip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.