replaced power window motor still wont go up only down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replaced power window motor still wont go up only down

My passenger power window stopped working.. so I thought it was just the motor I replaced the whole contraption and hooked it up and it will only still go down and not up.

I tried both passenger button and driver button and it now doesnt work..

leading up to this it would work for a few days then stop then would work and was on and off and now I decided to try to fix it.

I got it jammed up with 2x4's holding the window up so any help would be great.

Is there a fuse or something obviously as said it goes down not up.. sounds like a bad connection but why would it stop on both sides Up button only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 655
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had similar problem. I had lost ground to the switch. I scabbed one in for the time being until I can find where it broke. One the back of the harness that goes into switch you can test that to see if you still have ground to your up or down... Mine wouldn't go down. Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 3,990
Thanks: 21
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remember, the main switch is the driver. The motor obviously has just 2 wires. + to one and - to the other will make it go say up, flip em and it goes down. U can test the motor like that. Then just test the switches. Probably like he said above and it has a bad connection somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUTX01X View Post
I had similar problem. I had lost ground to the switch. I scabbed one in for the time being until I can find where it broke. One the back of the harness that goes into switch you can test that to see if you still have ground to your up or down... Mine wouldn't go down. Hope that helps
sorry how did you "scab" one for the mean time? How do I even check the ground on it? I know I'd use a light test but where in the plug am I checking for the ground?

does this sound more like the driver side switch went out if it is the one that is the "driver" between it and the passenger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 655
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigtruck View Post
sorry how did you "scab" one for the mean time? How do I even check the ground on it? I know I'd use a light test but where in the plug am I checking for the ground?

does this sound more like the driver side switch went out if it is the one that is the "driver" between it and the passenger?
I used a multimeter to find which one the ground was. Then I just got a small wire and put it in same spot as ground on the harness that clips into window switch and the grounded it to a bolt on door. This was on the pass. Side. Now it will go up and down using driver or passenger switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUTX01X View Post
I used a multimeter to find which one the ground was. Then I just got a small wire and put it in same spot as ground on the harness that clips into window switch and the grounded it to a bolt on door. This was on the pass. Side. Now it will go up and down using driver or passenger switch.
how'd you know it was the ground sorry for the questions.. i just got a tester.. how will i now know which one is the ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 655
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Let me go look at mine and I'll see which it is.... I'm assuming the should be same one.... Standby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 655
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you pop the switch panel off Have the switch facing you. Looking down on it, it would be the top left one. My is a tannish color with blue tracer.

So it is the door side wire towards the front... Hope that helps... Mine was only going up though. Not sure if there is another ground for the down as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUTX01X View Post
If you pop the switch panel off Have the switch facing you. Looking down on it, it would be the top left one. My is a tannish color with blue tracer.

So it is the door side wire towards the front... Hope that helps... Mine was only going up though. Not sure if there is another ground for the down as well...
i still dont understand what setting to put the volt meter on to know that is the ground or which to stick what to find out what the ground is.

is there a problem with me just taking a small wire holding it to a bolt and pushing up on the button and if that doesnt work going to another button and trying again til it works??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpena Mi, Most of the time
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You'll laugh, but I had the same problem. For me its was the drives side. I thought at first it was the motor but I had down and sometimes up so I decided to troubleshoot the switch. Pulled it out of the door, took it apart, and found there were broken leads going on the up side of the switch. Replacement was $75 from the the stealer I mean dealer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors