Oil leak question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak question

Does anyone know, are can anyone tell me what that horizontal pipe looking thing on the drivers side of the motor is. It runs along side the block from front to back, on a 7.3 it seems that im getting an oil leak from there on I just can't tell what is is. Or what it does. Its just now starting to leak at 227k, and I can't handled an oil leak, its not a bad leak but it will leave a spot where I park where else, could it be leaking the valley seems dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Oil cooler.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Call Dieselorings.com. Tell Bob that the horizontal pipe looking thing on the drivers side of the motor is leaking. He will fix you up. You might want to do a few searches on "oil cooler leaks" first.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:39 AM

Ha ha, oil cooler, ahh how hard is it to change? Does look bad, , see learn something every day,
Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM

It's not that bad. You do have to drain all the oil and coolant. The only tricky part is pressing the manifolds back onto the pipe. They are sealed by large o-rings and I have read about people cracking the pipe or the manifold by applying too much pressure. You can get the reseal kit here :Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

and if you do damage the pipe you can get another here :Riffraff Diesel: Ford 7.3L Oil Cooler 94.5-03

Mine only seems to leak in the winter so I'm holding off doing mine till it gets worse.

Guzzle has repair instructions on the above link.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Just did mine last week, mine only leaked when it was super cold out side and would only dribble when I first started the truck but it drove me crazy. Not to bad to do but just a pain to drain all the coolant and oil... Also the front bolts are kind of a pain to get to, you have to go through the wheel well but its still tough. Total of 4 o rings and 2 gaskets for around 70 bucks and id figure 2-4 hours of work if you haven't done it before. Any questions shoot me a pm or there are also some great write ups on the forums that will help with pictures.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 AM

Thanks, As soon as i get my 6.4 08 out of the shop long enough to be able to clean it up and put it in my shop, I will get it done, Along with a few other items that i need/want to do to it, Theres no way i'm parting with it, Its my back up Vechile, Its been in the shop once FOR A RECALL, in 13 years, my 08 has been in the shop 3 times in 6 months, Every time i get ready to do work on it the 6.4 breaks down. I think i'll part with it. and keep my 99 7.3 I wonder how $$$$ for a new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.