Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Safe EGT temps

30K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  HVAC SuperTech 
#1 ·
I just installed my egt sensor on my early 99 7.3 and was wondering what is a safe temp to run at. I have a edge evolution set to stage 2 and am running around 700 to 800 degrees. If I really get on it, the temp jumps up to around 1075 but just for a few seconds while the pedal is to the floor, and then it is right back down to around 750 as soon as I let off.

#4 ·
That's ok as long as your also maintaining proper coolant temperature and not overheating.

#5 ·
At what speed do you see 700 I see 700 around the end of 3rd gear at like 43 around town the most I hit is 600 under normal driving

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#6 ·
As long as you installed the sensor in the bend of the manifolds, you can sustain 1150 or 1200 degrees towing or open running with no issues. On the high end, if you are upwards of 1400 or more, you better not be there for a long period of time. I have hit 1500 once and got freakin scared. A few seconds ( less than 10 I'd say) on 1400 and I'd say that's enough, you'd better back out.

In the mountains here in NC, on the interstate crusing at 70 I see 700.

If the sensor is mounted post Turbo, then that's the wrong place.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet

#11 ·
I saw 1700 in those mountains last year once:hehe:

#7 ·
I have not been able to try it out that much I just put in the egt sensor this morning and have only had it out a couple of times to try it. Most of my test driving today has consisted of putting the pedal to the floor ( I just installed my programmer ) so I need to drive it normal and see what the average is. And yes I installed the sensor in the driver side manifold just before the up pipe to the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.