Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Are my brakes normal...and if not, what do I need to do?

998 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SaltH2OHokie 
#1 ·
Howdy,

My truck stops pretty well considering it's over 8k lbs, has 210k miles and 35" tires.

That said, it only does it when I have time to evenly and calmly apply the brake pedal. If I stab the brakes, they go 1/2 way to the floor or better almost instantly and feel like I have about half of the stopping power of applying them 'normally'. It makes a panic stop twice as panicky since it feels like I'm trying to stop a loaded trailer when I stab the brakes.

I commute 80+ miles a day, through a tunnel, so telling me not to stab the brakes isn't really going to help.

My power steering pump whines...perhaps related?

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Your brakes are run off the power steering pump, so yes, the two are related. Have you checked the fluid level? Have you ever flushed the power steering fluid or bled it? Same goes for the brake fluid.

#4 ·
Your brakes are run off the power steering pump, so yes, the two are related. Have you checked the fluid level? Have you ever flushed the power steering fluid or bled it? Same goes for the brake fluid.
How do you bleed the powersteering/hydroboost system? Filling the resivour, and turning the steering wheel lock to lock, and using the breaks will bleed it as best as it's going to, from my experiance. Fluid gets pumped thru the system, and air bubbles work their way back to the resivour, causing it to get a little lower. Topping it off should work...

From what the OP is speaking of, I'm gonna guess the hydroboost unit is showing signs of inproper operation... with the age and mileage, it might be time for a replacement.

#3 · (Edited)
Fluid levels are good, but never been flushed. I reckon I'll put that on this weekend's to-do list and see where it leaves me.

How exactly does the ps pump tie into the brake system though? Like knowing how things work if I can help it.

#6 ·
It is a hydraulically powered brake power booster, in lieu of a traditional vacuum powered one.

Gasoline powered engines use a throttle body that controls engine acceleration and creates vacuum.

Our diesel engines do not, therefore we have to find another way to power the brakes. OBS fords had a vacuum pump. 99-present use the power steering pump.

#7 ·
And how do you test or tell that it is bad?

Usually when I use my brakes they feel pretty stiff and dont have alot of give and it seems like I have to push excessive to get it to stop sometimes.

#8 ·
So lets say I need a PS pump and a hydroboost unit (not just a function of the MC?)...

Are there better than stock options for either of those? PS sucks and has always sucked at idle. My buddy's truck is no better and has about 1/2 the miles. I've just gotten in the habit of riding the clutch when I'm coming out of a parking spot or other tight turn/slow speed areas, so that I can keep the revs up. Got to be a better pump out there. Hydroboost, I don't know enough about to know for a fact it can be improved upon, but there's always somebody trying to build a better mousetrap...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.