Did the hutch and harpoon today - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did the hutch and harpoon today

Finally got around to doing the hutch and harpoon mods today. The mods themselves were a cake walk, what took me the longest was the quick disconnects on the fuel line. Even with the right tool they fought me for some reason. I opted to leave the little screen on the bottom of the fuel pick up, just for insurance.

I also took the time to inspect everything the tank covers in the chassis rail, and give everything I can't get to with the tank on a good coat of paint. All in all, I did the whole thing (drop the tank, mod, and install with the other stuff) in about 2 hours. I didn't have anyone help either, did it by my lonesome and it wasn't that bad to drop and install the tank by yourself, just have to use your noggin. I had about 1/4 tank in it.

Can't wait to fill up and see what I can get in it.

So now it's got me jonesing for another cheap mod, any suggestions?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You'll probably squeeze about 32 gallons in lol. What mods do you have already?

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
You'll probably squeeze about 32 gallons in lol. What mods do you have already?

Lol, I have a long bed, that would be 6 gals less than I could get before. As low as I've ever had it I got 38 Gals in it. Hoping for 42.

E99 250 4x4 8' bed supercab
I have: 4" MBRP turbo back straight pipe, Napa filter, Gauges, hutch and Harpoons, F350 Suspension, 05 headlights

Recent Maintenance: new calipers/ rotors/ pads (all 4 corners), new master, new ball joints/seals etc, alignment, Stock GPR, carrier and driveshaft bearings, new dif cover and oil, and I think that's it.

Last edited by venturesomerite; 03-04-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Oh ha. Didn't notice that. Well you've got a lot covered. You could always shim the FPR. Or do a fuel rail crossover. That would help the injectors a ton and be fairly cheap-ish.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
Oh ha. Didn't notice that. Well you've got a lot covered. You could always shim the FPR. Or do a fuel rail crossover. That would help the injectors a ton and be fairly cheap-ish.

I was eyeing both those mods actually. I'd like to add a gauge to monitor the fuel pressure to make sure it's not too high, but I head the ones that mount on the engine never last, not sure If I want one permanently in the cab either.

Any suggestions on brands for FRx?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM

riffraff has a good FRx replaces the fpr housing and has upgraded spring Nice product and super customer service!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy84 View Post
riffraff has a good FRx replaces the fpr housing and has upgraded spring Nice product and super customer service!
I agree here. If I hadn't had the parts to build my own RR I would have gone this route.

Other things you can look at (im not 100% positive with all the workings of the e99 setup) would be zoodad mod, ccv mod, ebpv delete. They're nothing major but hey, every little bit helps.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM

As far as a fuel pressure gauge, make sure its liquid filled if you run it under the hood.. in-cab would be best, but youll want an electric one vs a mechanical one. Since you've got most of the bases covered, I would definitely look in a valve body for the trans.. either JW or BTS.. and custom tunes.. PHP is the best bang for your buck, but there's a lot of good tuners out there.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Ok well there's more progress. Did the CCV mod and shimmed the FPR today. I also rebuilt the drain on the furl bowl (I have had the o-rings sitting in an envelope for literally a year!) Glad I did that because there was a bunch of sediment in the bottom of the fuel bowl, cleaned it all out and put it back together all nicey.

How easy is a valve body? I've never messed with an auto trans, though I've seen it done a few times on tv shows, seems easy enough if you take your time. Is is just good mod, or is it a "worth every penny" mod?

Also, will PHP re-burn free in the future? I really do want a tuner, but I'm tempted to spend a little more up front for one that can be re-burnt for free in the future. I kinda can't leave **** alone....

I want to do the EBPV in the spring, I need to replace my pedestal orings, seals on the oil cooler, and the front main (all leak!) I remember reading something about plugging oil holes, any good read throughs with lots of pictures? I like pictures...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Shimming the FPR is a bad idea without a fuel pressure gauge, hell i say its a bad idea in general. Any idea what your fuel pressure is right now? Chances are you are over 100 and the truck is going to die out at a very inopportune time. Its not permanent damage, but it will leave you stranded, possibly seizing your fuel pump. Been there, done that.

Its not the spring that wears, its the poppet. Shimming the FPR is a band-aid fix when you should pay the $70 for a new poppet and seal. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Did the hutch and harpoon today-photo.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.