Bully dog tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bully dog tuner

A truck accessories shop wanted to sell me a Bully Dog tuner, so I allow them to temporarily tune my truck and it worked well. If I decide not to but the Bully Dog unit, will I have to go to a Ford Dealer the get the codes reset before I can use another type of tuner?
Thanks Billyj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
If it was the try before you buy, then you should be ok because it will revert back to stock after a certain amount of driving time.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It will NOT revert to stock. It works like this.
You have stock. Then the dog takes the stock tune, copies it, puts the dog tube as the BASE tune on the pcm, then puts stock on top of it.
So the dog is always running, but uses stock parameters once it "runs out." Reset the pcm and you'll still have the tune there. It's a flash tune, like an sct.

My Samsung SGH-I997 made me send this.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 AM

the bully dog doesn't copy the stock tune. it has it's own version of the stock tune in it.

don't run the bully dog on your 7.3. Just get a 6 position chip and be done with it
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If it was the try before you buy, then you should be ok because it will revert back to stock after a certain amount of driving time.
It was a try before you buy. I choose that route, because there is so much information to have too consume when deciding what will work best for me. I didn't realize at the time what is was in for until I read somewhere that if I choose another brand I would have to go to a ford dealer and have them reset the codes
Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 AM

it absolutely will not go back to true stock. I have put triple dogs on a LOT of 7.3's. I will sell them to guys with 7.3's and load them on their trucks, but I ALWAYS recommend a physical chip.

If they insist? It's their money and their truck, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
the bully dog doesn't copy the stock tune. it has it's own version of the stock tune in it.

don't run the bully dog on your 7.3. Just get a 6 position chip and be done with it
Then I shouldn't have go to a ford dealer for anything, just install the chip and go, Right?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 AM

correct. don't let them load the temporary bully dog tune. it may be temporary power, but it is NOT a temporary reflash!!!!!!!!

buy a 6 position chip with some good tunes on it, install the chip, and enjoy.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyj View Post
It was a try before you buy. I choose that route, because there is so much information to have too consume when deciding what will work best for me. I didn't realize at the time what is was in for until I read somewhere that if I choose another brand I would have to go to a ford dealer and have them reset the codes
I tried this with my 6.0. It was ok, then I chose to buy a bully dog and it fried my PCM so I don't know if you have to have a reflash or not... I would stay away from Bully dog from here on out if I were you. When I said it reverts back to stock, I meant it reverts back to a "stock" calibration, NOT ford OEM stock, I should have been more clear. It's bully dogs own version of stock. My Edge CTS did the same thing to my 6.7.. Now I have to go get it reflashed if I want to have the option of my gear indicator lights always on in my message center because it went away with their tuning. Get yourself a 6 position chip like mentioned before, you will be happier with that anyway..
Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 AM

the thing is, it's not even their version of stock... it's similar to the triple dog adjustable file but instead of four power levels, it has two power levels and once you hit a certain number of key cycles, it goes to the stock power level.

if you load a triple dog on a 7.3 or 6.0 and disconnect the batteries, it will revert to the stock power LEVEL

the other stuff is still loaded on the ECM

it isn't back to "stock" until you actually reprogram the truck back to stock and it can cause problems blocking other tuners, etc.

if you REALLY want a triple dog, I'll sell you one for $240. If you're anywhere near Alvin, TX I'll let you try it out before you buy.

but, I would recommend a 6 position chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.