Project Planning - Looking for feedback - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Project Planning - Looking for feedback

Dear Fellow Powerstroke Fans,

I am starting to prepare for my "project" on my 2000 F-250 Ext. Cab SB. I figured I would throw my ideas out here to see what kind of feedback, opinions, or suggestions I can get as I start considering my options.

First, a quick back story:

I bought a new 2010 F-250 4x4 CCSB 6.4 power stroke about 2 years ago. About 9 months ago I also purchased a 2000 F-250 4x4 XCSB with about 38,000 miles. At the time I was in the market for a work/company truck and could not believe that there was actually a 7.3 with such low miles in practically new condition and with all service records out there. It was owned by an older lady who used it to tow horses to local trails on the weekend but sold her horses years ago. So long story short, I found myself fueling up, paying insurance, and maintaining two trucks. To me, it didn't seem very practical or economical to own 2 practically identically vehicles. I LOVED the 6.4 but how many people can say that they still own a 50k 7.3? I sold the 6.4 about a month ago initially planning to use the 2000 F-250 for a daily driver and work truck and in about 6 months to a year buy a second vehicle. Now, I am thinking instead of purchasing a car/suv in the future I would rather put a little money into this truck and use it as my everyday/every purpose truck.

Here are my Goals for this "project": Essentially, I am trying to build somewhat of a cross between the 6.4 & 7.3s.
1) Upgrade Interior - Make quieter, newer, and a little nicer
2) Performance & Durability - Durability is more important than power to me. My goal is to get similar performance & power levels as the 6.4 but maintain the 7.3s reliability.
3) Comfort & Refinement - I do A LOT of driving (avg. 30-40k a year) & long trips and need a vehicle that rides relatively smoothly, comfortably, and "quietly". Again, would like to make the 7.3 feel more like the new 6.4/6.7s. I understand there are very clear cut differences but somewhere between old and new is ideally.

My plans as of now include:

Performance:
*S&B Intake (Already installed)
*MBRP 4" Aluminized Turbo Back exhaust w/ muffler
*SCT Flash tuner (used for gauges) programmed w/ DP Tunes (40 towing, 60 mountains, 80 econo)
*Stage 1 Injectors from Full Force Diesel
*Regulated Regulated return fuel system
*Potentially switching to 6.0 Intercooler?

Interior:
*Sound Proofing - floors, doors, back wall, headboard
*New Carpet - from stock interiors
*Upgrading to 05-07 Gray Lariat leather seats w/ console (already have)
*In-Dash Pioneer dvd/nav (already have)

Exterior:
*Harley Davidson headlight conversion 05-07
*05-07 Grill conversion
*05-07 Front Bumper conversion (looking for advice/link to these bumpers with hidden winch inside)

Suspension:Looking for ideas/suggestion here
*This truck is commonly towing and driven on the highway so I am not really interested in lifting.
*Would like to convert to the 05-present front suspension set up with the radius arm. My previous 2010 rode much smoother and would like to get back to that. Does anyone know of a kit or aftermarket parts that would get rid of the leaf springs but not lift the truck? I feel virtually clueless in this aspect and am open to all suggestions that would smooth out the ride without compromising towing/driving/etc.

So if anyone is still reading at this point haha, please feel free to share any ideas, criticisms, feedback, pictures from your project, and/or whatever. I am excited to hear from people who know a lot more about this than I do and appreciate anyone/everyones feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Personally, I think you made the right choice. Newer truck prices are ridiculous these days. I am in the process of doing some work on my E99. In addition to my mods already I am planning

-6.0 Intercooler Upgrage
-Re-build the Turbo
-New Tie rod Ends
-Sound deadener in the cab
-New hubs and bearings
-Also take a look at the fuel lines under the filter bath. Ive heard these can crack.

What are you planning on using for your sound deadener? Ive been debating on going with B-Quiet. Seems like a solid company. Chatted with them today on the phone about their products.

Good Luck with the truck!
Paul
Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoStroker16 View Post
First, a quick back story:

I bought a new 2010 F-250 4x4 CCSB 6.4 power stroke about 2 years ago. About 9 months ago I also purchased a 2000 F-250 4x4 XCSB with about 38,000 miles. At the time I was in the market for a work/company truck and could not believe that there was actually a 7.3 with such low miles in practically new condition and with all service records out there. It was owned by an older lady who used it to tow horses to local trails on the weekend but sold her horses years ago. So long story short, I found myself fueling up, paying insurance, and maintaining two trucks. To me, it didn't seem very practical or economical to own 2 practically identically vehicles. I LOVED the 6.4 but how many people can say that they still own a 50k 7.3?
It's a lonely low miles club hahaha
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

@SLO_F-250 - It is crazy to think that when I see a 2011-12 Lariat/King Ranch rolling down the road that that truck cost easily $60k+. Sounds like you have your self a good project planned to. Check Craigslists occasional for the 6.0 IC, of course there are some sketchy ones out there but I found one in great condition for only $65 off a rollover truck with about 60k miles. I am either going to go with B-Quiet as well or possibly damplifier-pro/luxury liner from Second Skin Luxury Liner - Mass Loaded Vinyl Noise Barrier - 1.25 lbs psf Automotive MLV.

@jacobm24 - It is lonely for sure but I am ok with that ha.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Honestly if you can't get 6.0 ic for cheap I wouldn't even worry about it. I'd add a 6.0 trans cooler to that list tho just to help out. Other than that doesn't look to bad. Ice wanted to upgrade the interior and sound proof it but the laziness factor takes over when it comes to that
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

@dentexcoalroller - I managed to snag an 6.0 IC for $65 off of Craigslist. Haven't installed it yet and not even 100% sure I am going to at this point, still kind of debating. I appreciate the advice on the 6.0 trans cooler. How easy is it to swap those out? I am nervous that I am going to start stocking all this interior stuff up, start ripping out the old, and then have my laziness set in as well and be riding with only the drivers seat in the cab haha.

Also, not mentioned in the list early was swapping out the diff covers to something like Mag-Hytec. Anyone have any experience or think it is worth the money?

Lastly, the 06 Lariat seats that I purchased are power leather with seat heaters. My current cloth XLT seats are power but not heated. Is this going to cause a problem when I go to install the new ones?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out the 08 diff cover. I've never like the after market ones because of the price of them. But the 08 is aluminium and finned
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM

I'm sure you're planning on this or have done it already but make sure you change EVERY fluid in that truck. I got mine in august at 46k and have changed tranny, power steering, coolant, differential and even the blinker fluid. the oil also but that goes without saying. I also had to clean out mud-dobber nests from the inside..I still find one every now and then lol. but thats a small price to pay fro a like new 7.3.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoStroker16 View Post
@dentexcoalroller - I managed to snag an 6.0 IC for $65 off of Craigslist. Haven't installed it yet and not even 100% sure I am going to at this point, still kind of debating. I appreciate the advice on the 6.0 trans cooler. How easy is it to swap those out? I am nervous that I am going to start stocking all this interior stuff up, start ripping out the old, and then have my laziness set in as well and be riding with only the drivers seat in the cab haha.

Also, not mentioned in the list early was swapping out the diff covers to something like Mag-Hytec. Anyone have any experience or think it is worth the money?

Lastly, the 06 Lariat seats that I purchased are power leather with seat heaters. My current cloth XLT seats are power but not heated. Is this going to cause a problem when I go to install the new ones?
Thanks for the link to the sound dampener material. Its pretty high on my list. While not really helping the mechanics of the truck, it sure would be nice if it were a bit quieter!

I threw the Mag-Hytecs front and rear before a long road trip last year. Honestly, I can say if it were worth it or not, but from now on it is MUCH easier to check/change my diff oil, and IMO its nice to know you have more fluid and its running a bit cooler down there plus I like the mean look.

I'de join in the low mile club if I could! But I can't complain, my truck runs great with 209k.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

@Jacobm24 - I had the differential fluid flushed and changed when I found a small leak in the rear diff pinion seal. I have not yet changed the other fluids (besides oil) and now would probably be a good time. What are your recommendations as far as brands for the fluids? I like the idea of sticking with motorcraft/ford, did you use those or outside brands?

@SLO_F-250 - I feel the same way about quietness in the cab. I got spoiled with the 6.4 and for as much as I drive and talk on the phone (legally handsfree of course ha) it is almost a necessity for me as opposed to a luxury. Thank you for the input on the Mag-Hytechs, I am obsessed with trying to keep things running cool so just have the piece of mind of additional fluid would be nice.

And as far as 7.3s are concerns, I think 209k might qualify for low mileage haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.