7.3l bus as a toy hauler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3l bus as a toy hauler?

I have a few "toys" (a couple Pinzgauer 712m's and a mini jeep) that i'll cart here or there depending on the event. I normally would use my F250 but I've been giving thought to turning one of the numerous 7.3 powered 15-22 passenger busses into an RV and pulling with that. First off, does anyone own something like whats referenced below? Were you able to weld a sufficient hitch for 10k# towing? Would the truck pull a 7500# load with with a few thousand pounds extra already on the frame?
Attached Thumbnails
7.3l bus as a toy hauler?-2003forde4500-420.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does that bus in the attached photo have a rear door/emergency exit door?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM

Honestly, i just snagged it from the net as an example but your point is appreciated. Most i have seen do not. Would having one prevent a hitch?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am not sure either. I was asking out of curiosity just because I read your thread and was intrigued by the idea. Hopefully someone out there has some experience and pictures because I would love to find out how that would be.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:59 PM

Pretty rad idea !
Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 PM

I know a hitch that will pull ANYTHING you want: Trailer Hitches - Reese
This seems like it'd be adaptable to higher frames and such : Trailer Hitches - Reese
Old 03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am really pumped/upset because now this post has me wanting to put aside my other project and do something like this haha. I am thinking even simpler, since I only carry bikes and 1 quad, I think it would be awesome to find one of these passenger buses with the rear access door/handicap lift and use ramps to ride the bikes/quad directly into the bus. Make it similar to the toy hauler trailers where the couches/tables/beds fold up to the sides when used for carrying the toys then fold down when unloaded. That way I wouldn't even have to worry about towing a trailer
Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 AM

downside of the vans are no intercooler, and factory de-tuned... I have one as work van, it can barely get out of it's own way. Has a 11' work/covered utility box, loaded with tools, sits at about 11K lbs most of the time. So, if you go this route, be sure to straight pipe it, fab up some better air cleaner/intake, as there is no aftermarket one out there that I can find, get a good tuner, gauges, etc. I have straight piped mine, and that helped, but still need to fab up an air cleaner/intake. In the long run, I plan to find a cab and chassis truck that I can swap the bed/box onto, so I can be using a truck chassis, and ditch the van chassis.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to pullmaxdude
toy hauler

My dad has an 02 that looks just like that exept black. We put a hitch on it to pull 16 foot trailer with 2 quads on, and it does pretty good at that. I dont know that it would like 7-8k? maybe on the flat lands. On the other hand MY toy hauler has a dt466, and it WILL handle it...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
downside of the vans are no intercooler, and factory de-tuned... I have one as work van, it can barely get out of it's own way. Has a 11' work/covered utility box, loaded with tools, sits at about 11K lbs most of the time. So, if you go this route, be sure to straight pipe it, fab up some better air cleaner/intake, as there is no aftermarket one out there that I can find, get a good tuner, gauges, etc. I have straight piped mine, and that helped, but still need to fab up an air cleaner/intake. In the long run, I plan to find a cab and chassis truck that I can swap the bed/box onto, so I can be using a truck chassis, and ditch the van chassis.
That is good to know, it didn't know the vans/buses weren't intercooled. Pretty important for me because I would use it to travel to and from the CA deserts which can easily range from 100-115 even in late spring/early fall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.