New 7.3 owner questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 7.3 owner questions.

Hey everyone, just joined this forum and I'm looking for some help.
I just traded my 2002 F250 V10 for a 2001 F250 7.3l.. I have never owned a diesel before and I'm just wondering about the basic up keep on one? I am pretty mechanically inclined but all the vehicles ive owned before were gas trucks, this is my first diesel. My question is, for this truck, what would I want to do for basic up-keep on this engine? Like for my gas trucks I would always change spark plugs, wires, dist cap, oil.. stuff like that. Obviously this truck not having these parts, and me not knowing to much about diesel motors yet. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the things I want to check and replace regularly to keep the truck running great! I'm not sure how well the previous owners have taken care of it and I'd really like to check it out. The truck runs great right now but never hurts to do a little maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oil changes and fuel filters. Other than that, just general maintenance.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrumm03 View Post
Hey everyone, just joined this forum and I'm looking for some help.
I just traded my 2002 F250 V10 for a 2001 F250 7.3l.. I have never owned a diesel before and I'm just wondering about the basic up keep on one? I am pretty mechanically inclined but all the vehicles ive owned before were gas trucks, this is my first diesel. My question is, for this truck, what would I want to do for basic up-keep on this engine? Like for my gas trucks I would always change spark plugs, wires, dist cap, oil.. stuff like that. Obviously this truck not having these parts, and me not knowing to much about diesel motors yet. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the things I want to check and replace regularly to keep the truck running great! I'm not sure how well the previous owners have taken care of it and I'd really like to check it out. The truck runs great right now but never hurts to do a little maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
I think air filtration is critical. The box air filter is not very well designed however I'd replace the stock air filter asap. "Dusting" can be a major issue so air filtration is significant. When you replace the air filter make sure that the housing is not broken and that it seals properly. Beware of broken parts etc. K&N is controversial and I don't like them. That is me.

I'd make darn sure that you have the correct coolant and and additive recommended by Ford. Maybe I'm a sucker but I had the dealer replace my fluid and put in the proper additive.

Oil. I like Rotella T6 synthetic and a either a Motorcraft or ELF Donlaldson filter. When you change the oil make sure to fill the new filter with oil before replacing.

Fuel filter. Get a new one. They are on the top of the engine in these 7.3s are are easy to change. There is also a yellow valve at the back of the fuel bowl. Carefully turn the lever and use a pan to catch any water/diesel fuel. This is used to drain water that has collected in the bowl. Let it open for a few seconds to rid water of the system.

Fuel additive. Diesel Kleen or something like to help lubricate the diesel fuel. There is a winter and summer version. Follow the directions carefully on the back of the bottle and measure out the correct amount. Try to buy diesel fuel at a truck stop or a high turnover station. You don't want stale fuel with water, sand and crap in it.

I DO NOT USE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER, SEAFOAM OR ANY OF THAT STUFF IN MY FUEL OR MY OIL. Make sure anything you put in your rig is for diesel engines.

I like to plug my rig in for at least 3 hours if I know it is going to get below 40. Use a heavy duty extension cord and timer.

I'm a rookie owner too and the above are just my opinions. You can check out the youtube.com or these or these forums for help. Just be careful and don't do any damage.

Be careful getting advice from Autozone, O'Reily's or a gasser mechanic. These engines are very different and require special attention.

good luck
Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Old 02-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for all the welcomes!

@Eastendlou. I appreciate all the tips, just a quick question. Do you put in the fuel additive every time you fill up your truck? Or just once in a while?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Lubrication Addict

Get you a Spare CPS--->Cam Position Sensor and keep in your toolbox or glove box... along with a 10mm short and socket... These things are very unpredictable... Some can last yrs... Some can last a short while...

Good advice above...

I myself use 6oz of TC-W3 oil every fill up as well as FP60 from Lube Control... I never let my tank drop below half a tank... So I normally fuel up with 20gal to 15gal...
TC-W3 is cheap and a good lubrication for the fuel system... FP60 is Soy Based and Cleans slowly and safely...

One more thing... If you have plans on keep this truck for many yrs to come? Look into a Coolant Filter and Doing a Complete Cooling System Flush and adding HD {Red} ELC Coolant... {Which is a perfect fit for our 7.3L}

Last edited by SyN; 02-29-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Hush Your Mouth!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM

You can plug your truck in overnight it wont hurt it at all. Your coolant will only get so warm before it wont get warm anymore. And if its really cold, make sure when you plug your truck in, leave your truck on defrost and when you get up, your windshield will be partly defrosted from being plugged in.
Other than that, have your front end checked out, ball joints do go out in these things, would replace with moog greaseable ball joints, and thats about it
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Oil changes and fuel filters. Other than that, just general maintenance.
^^^ that and if you have green or gold coolant watch the SCAs and your fine.

You will need to get used to buying gallons, not quarts of oil, but other than that for a 7.3 there is not much maintenance that is all that different from a gasser.

Since it is winter it would be a good idea to check the glow plug relay and glow plugs, if they are in good shape your 7.3 should have no trouble starting in the cold.

Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

As with purchasing any used vehicle I would change every fluid and filter in the truck (oil, trans, power steering, brake, x-case (if applicable), front and rear diffs, coolant etc)

Last edited by rufushusky; 03-01-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrumm03 View Post
Thank you for all the welcomes!

@Eastendlou. I appreciate all the tips, just a quick question. Do you put in the fuel additive every time you fill up your truck? Or just once in a while?
I used the additive every time I fill up. I watch how many gallons of fuel and add the recommended amount per gallon of additive. Diesel Kleen is an off the shelf and sold everywhere. I think Opti-Lube is another one that you can order online. The point is that diesel fuel has environmental restrictions that has removed the lubrication ability in recent years. These additives helps restore the lubrication ability. I'm sure I goofed up that explanation but you can read on the net about it.

Anyhow, there are different brands just educate yourself on the topic before using....and ask questions, seek advice, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 diesel f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.