13.4-13.7 mpg.... any suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
13.4-13.7 mpg.... any suggestions

I bought the truck as is but deleted the muffler on the 4" banks exhaust she came with and straight piped her. She's lifted and i put on new 35x12.5x20 on her. She had the edge evolution, k&n intake but plan on changing the k&n over to the 6637 asap. Looking to change the edge over to stock when i order my tw chip and using the edge as gauges. Hopeing to get better than 13 after i chip her. I drive her like a old pawpaw never really going over 1500 rpms around 55 where i live. Would the chip raise my mpg's and is there anything else i can look for to help it ! (oil, and filter change along with fuel filter also was done on her) Thanks for any replies !!!

Last edited by Cdup; 02-28-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check for boost leaks and up pipes leaking. Usually 2 big causes of lower mpgs also if ypur speedo isnt calibrated you're actually getting a little better than you think
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM

13.4-13.7 is hand calculated ! When u say boost leaks you mean leaks around the turbo connections. Checked and found the clamp on the downstream of the turbo on the 4" down pipe slightly loose so i snugged it up. Tks ! Side note tires are at 65 psi .

Last edited by Cdup; 02-28-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You're tires are bigger so the speedo needs to be calibrated to match your actual speed. The mileage will not be accurate either. Use a GPS to calculate your actual mileage.

The pipes that come up tithe turbo from the exhaust manifolds are known to leak exhaust pressure. Look at the collector at the back of the turbo and you'll see black spot marks on the pipes if they are leaking. Also check the manifolds. They seem to come loose too. Just make sure they are not rusted through before you try and torque them. Get new ones from for if they are rusty.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM

I checked the speed with a gps and i'm around 3-4 miles per hr off from the dash so i actually drive at 50 to achieve under 55. I really didn't see any signs on the pipes of the turbo anywhere after tracing them and checking them.... but will look into the manifolds... thanks !
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM

my speedo isn't corrected for my 35" tires. I have the typical mods, 6637, chip, 4" turbo back exhaust. and my truck only gets 13-14 with city driving. now if I get on a stretch of interstate heading up north for a weekend I usually see 18-20 mpg
Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 PM

For the lift, wheels and tires, I'd that mileage sounds about right for daily driving. A chip could help with mileage a bit though...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdup View Post
I checked the speed with a gps and i'm around 3-4 miles per hr off from the dash so i actually drive at 50 to achieve under 55. I really didn't see any signs on the pipes of the turbo anywhere after tracing them and checking them.... but will look into the manifolds... thanks !
If your off by 3-4 mph, you need yo recalibrate your speedo.

You are traveling more miles than your registering.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Heck with winter fuel that fuel milage sounds pretty good to me!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Yeah no kiddin, i would be happy with that mileage. You gotta think thou man, your rolling 35's, thats alot of rolling weight mass, your up higher in the air, which is wind resistance. Thus in return takes more power to keep goin that fast. Its just a chain reaction, be happy with your mileage. Its not too bad for a 8000lb truck.
As for your gauges, throw that edge in the round can and get a good set of gauges to monitor your stuff. Nothing worse than having the improper reading from a edge programmer. Go out and get the autometer or something along them lines. Install the sending units in the proper locations for like your trans temp and egt probe in your exhaust manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.