need some advice on an 02 F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
need some advice on an 02 F350

I am looking to become part of the diesel family and looking for some advice. I have found an 02 F350 non dually here where i am. It is a 4wd with a manual tranny. This truck is a very base model. manual everything. It is a 4 four door. It has 290k on the clock and I dont know anything about how many miles these badboys are good for. so here are my questions.

1. Is 290k on the clock a lot? no idea on service records and owner i believe is a wholesaler so no idea on service histroy

2. I would prefer a automatic so how much fun is it to convert to auto? What year trannys would bolt up. I have read the auto trannys with the 6.0 hold up well so was considering buying one of those setups to get it to auto.

3. what is this truck worth with being a base model, 290k on the clock, and the body had dings and dents but nothing i cant live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First off, I'd say forget the trans conversion and find yourself another truck. If you want an Auto, you'll never be happy with a stick and the cost of the conversion wouldn't make sense unless you could get the truck for a couple of grand.

290 IS a lot, if properly maintained there would still be life left but, how would you know what's been going on for the past 10yrs.

I'm sure there are better choices out there for you if you keep looking....
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wonderful advice...the guy is wanting 4500 for it and i just didnt know what i was looking at. I thought without not knowing the history 290k could be near the end
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would recomend a oil sample be done to get an idea if anything is immediately wrong with the truck. Yes 290 is high if maintenance was not done regularly, on a side note if it wasn't though the problems should have already happened. automatics are ussually easier to find than manuals already in truck. search the trucks for sale section of the site to see if anything close to you the swap can be done but it is complicated unless you have a complete donor truck. others more knowledgeable will probably chime in also search the site for more info this site is great about sharing info with newbies and finally
Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Where are you located? I can think of a whole list of guys who would love to convert from auto to manual.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, I'd rather have the manual!! So much less to worry about.

I'd at least hook it to a scanner and check hpop pressure and contribution scores. It should give you a quick idea of the condition. Look for major leaks, look for blow by. Search these topics to get a better understanding.

I'd have more concern with the ford suspension, steering and hubs than the engine at 290. $4500 isn't a whole lot of cash so plan on an extra $1500 right away to fix major issues..
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM

When I bought my 02 new there were only four of them on all ford lots in California at the time. My dealer did an inventory search. I was ordering mine anyway, but I was curious so I had him find what was there.

Just to give you an idea of the rarity. Personally, I wouldn't switch back, but that's just me.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 PM

First off, why would you rather have an auto? Second, the trans from a 6.0 will not bolt up without a good deal of work. Then you also have the problem of controlling it, as I don't think our PCM will control it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Save a little more cash and get what you really want or you will never be satisfied. You can expect for parts to start needing some attention. My old truck had 317k on it when I sold it. Never had to replace anything major but it was coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.