Replace fuel pump? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replace fuel pump?

I recently installed a fuel gauge and am wondering if I need to replace my fuel pump. It's holding 65psi at idle but as soon as I step on the go pedal it drops to 60 and if I run at WOT it will drop down to 50. When it's cold at idle it will only come up to 55psi until the motor is warm. I have a 173,000mi so I know the stock pump must be starting to get tired. My biggest concern though is whether this is affecting performance as my engine is definitely a little rough under WOT; but I also have a weak HPOP. Any suggestions? Bosch 044?

Thanks,
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Emergency Services

I can't help you too much on the fuel pressure numbers...I'm used to dealing with modded, dual pump set ups that will hold 70psi all day long. If you decide you need a new pump I have a brand new motorcraft pump assembly that I kept in my 02's toolbox as a spare. I sold the truck in December and kept the pump...I'll make you a deal on it if you want.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 PM

Actually you're doing pretty good for a stock pump. Mine is probably about the same. Never tested it though.
As for the HPOP, you'd wanna go with an SRP1 or an Adrenaline if you're going a little cheaper.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Alright, thanks guys.

HaysKSFirefighter, I appreciate the offer on the pump but if I spend any money it will be for a Bosch 044 as I would like additional flow for future mods.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Alright, thanks guys.

HaysKSFirefighter, I appreciate the offer on the pump but if I spend any money it will be for a Bosch 044 as I would like additional flow for future mods.
Why not just run dual stock pumps

My Samsung SGH-I997 made me send this.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Never really thought about it. I like to keep things simple, that would require more wiring, brackets etc. Do they perform better than a 044?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Never really thought about it. I like to keep things simple, that would require more wiring, brackets etc. Do they perform better than a 044?
Idk about performance but they are dang reliable. It's just three more holes and bolts. Yea a little more wiring and hoses but not bad.

My Samsung SGH-I997 made me send this.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Emergency Services

Not a problem. I would run dual stock pumps or an aeromotive a1000 if it were me. Dual stockers flow enough for 600+ hp and its nice that if you lose one, you will notice a drop in pressure but you wont be dead in the water, you can still run on one pump. Aeromotive would be the only other pump I would run but they will run you around 100 more for the pump and if it goes down you will be waiting for a few days until you can have one mailed.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM

Craziness! Why do people recommend crazy aftermarket mods to fix simple problems? At 174,000 miles, you need a new fuel pressure regulator. The poppet wears and it will not hold pressure like it used to. Your truck is doing pretty well on pressure for that many miles honestly. Your fuel pump is fine.

Diesel o rings sells the kit you need for $70. No need to swap out fuel pumps or hpops.

Ohh, do NOT do the bb mod. No matter what you read, do not do it. Spend the $70
Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocontr View Post
Craziness! Why do people recommend crazy aftermarket mods to fix simple problems? At 174,000 miles, you need a new fuel pressure regulator. The poppet wears and it will not hold pressure like it used to. Your truck is doing pretty well on pressure for that many miles honestly. Your fuel pump is fine.

Diesel o rings sells the kit you need for $70. No need to swap out fuel pumps or hpops.

Ohh, do NOT do the bb mod. No matter what you read, do not do it. Spend the $70
He's talking about a modded application...stock fuel system will not suffice for that. You can have the best pump in the world and a new regulator, you will still get insufficient flow as well as air in the lines...a good fuel system and RR is always beneficial for any application. Stock to wild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.