Name the symptoms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Name the symptoms

Instead of me posting symptoms and asking for a diagnosis, I am gonna reverse it. I have a diagnosis and want you to name the symptoms of a 7.3 PSD that has that problem.

Cylinder #8 about 200 psi all other cylinders about 350. Diagnosed as a bad/dusted cylinder.

What symptoms would be present on a engine with this condition? Would the symptons be intermedit or consistent?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bad injector O-rings .
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvick View Post
Instead of me posting symptoms and asking for a diagnosis, I am gonna reverse it. I have a diagnosis and want you to name the symptoms of a 7.3 PSD that has that problem.

Cylinder #8 about 200 psi all other cylinders about 350. Diagnosed as a bad/dusted cylinder.

What symptoms would be present on a engine with this condition? Would the symptons be intermedit or consistent?

Thanks...
With a bad/dusted cylinder you could expect PSI in the cylinder to be about 150psi below the others. Probably around 200psi
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I guess I did not word my question the way I intended.

If you had cylinder number 8 running 200 psi. How would you expect the truck to run, what kind of symptoms would be present? Would it run at all, would it run perfectly fine sometimes and like crap others? Would it stall, ect...ect...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

If I recall, number 8 is always lower than the others. It even has a different injector than the others. But idk how much lower and what you would expect if it was too low.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well at the very least I would expect a rough idle. Maybe even a misfire in cold temps. At such low compression it might not create enough heat to burn fuel. Cool idea for a thread by the way

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Experience

Hi Vic

Well I have lots of experience with this issue, i have an 03 crew long bed 4x4 that had been dusted, and #8 took most of the beating. Its seems that #8 is always a problem in most engines, it seems to wear the most due to not being fueled properly. Its Symptoms were more than usual blow by, lower power, failed cylinder contribution test, and lower compression in #8. It ran ok , I drove it everyday and it was not as good on fuel mileage as it had been. One day it got a knock in the piston area of #8 so it was time to fix it.

Now the bad news, when I tore it down to rebuild it I found that the wear from the dusting had caused excessive wear in the cylinders, mainly 6,7,and 8. 8 had such a bad ring groove it had broken the ring and the land on the piston and was eating the cylinder wall badly. 6 was worn next worse, and 7 was not far behind. The rest of the cylinders were ok and would have cleaned at .030 over. For the record .030 over is as far as you can go on a 7.3. Now I had to get a new block, so I ordered a supposedly good core from the internet, I got it and all the cylinders in it were good but 8. So I just sleeved 8 and built that one. Of course the turbo was destroyed too, the fins were rounded and worn badly, good reason for a wicked wheel and a rebuild.

I wish you the best, hope you have better luck than me, but a hasty rebuild could save trouble in the long run.

Regards

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.