Advice,What would you do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice,What would you do?

I have 2002 f250 lariat with the 7.3Lpsd. I have a little under 130,000 miles on it. It needs a new tranny, I`m looking at abuilt tranny running me around $5000. I have alot of $ in this truck . I know down the road I`ll need a turbo,injectors ,hpop, better fuel upgrades, ect. I`m debating on selling it as is or parting the whole truck out , or just investing the $ in it and keeping it. What would you do? Just unsure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamedoutF250 View Post
I have 2002 f250 lariat with the 7.3Lpsd. I have a little under 130,000 miles on it. It needs a new tranny, I`m looking at abuilt tranny running me around $5000. I have alot of $ in this truck . I know down the road I`ll need a turbo,injectors ,hpop, better fuel upgrades, ect. I`m debating on selling it as is or parting the whole truck out , or just investing the $ in it and keeping it. What would you do? Just unsure!
Is it paid for?
How's the Body, interior and suspension holding up?
You can get a reman Ford HD4R100 installed with a 3yr/unlimited mile warranty for about $4200. Less if you get the standard Rebuild.
My truck has a 65000 miles on yours with all the stock "turbo,injectors ,hpop, better fuel upgrades, ect"... it's not a for sure that you'll need that anytime soon.

I recently looked at new trucks back last fall when my transmission went out. The new trucks while being more powerful in stock form and having new gadgets, just were not different enough for me to trade my truck with a straight body, nice paint, clean interior and no payments for the last 5 years. The money that I would have put into payments on a new truck has let me get a new transmission, stereo, intake, exhaust and chip (on it's way). If I had a new truck with payments, I'd not be doing all these "fun" things with my truck.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Overall the interior is in good shape and the body/paint is in good shape. I do need to fix the rust on the front two doors at the bottom. the Icon suspenion has almost 30,000 miles, I will need tires again in about 10,000 miles. I think I will need to have the uppipes replaced when I do the tranny. I really don`t dive the truck much anymore. I fact I has been driven less than 5 miles since june 2011, buy thats because the tranny is almost dead. I now have the $ ti get the tranny built. I would really love to have a 2006-2007 dodge ram mega cab with the 5.9L cummins!! I think I have just gotten board of my truck!! I bought it new in may of 2002 and it will be 10yrs old soon. Thanks for all input!!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamedoutF250 View Post
I think I have just gotten board of my truck!! I bought it new in may of 2002 and it will be 10yrs old soon. Thanks for all input!!
I was similarly boarded with mine last year and had had mine since new also. and with it acting up, it didn't help me want to keep it around.

The difference with yours and mine is that you've done a lot to your truck. Mine is relatively stock. I have a lot that I can do with mine, while it looks like you've already done more than I will to mine.

My plan now is to take my '01 to 1/2 million miles. Not saying I won't have another truck in the driveway some day, but this one is going to stick around for a long time with me.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM

With just under 130k miles the engine has a lot of life left in it unless it has been abused or neglected. You've done a lot of work on it and spent a lot of money on it to get it the way you like it. If you have maintained it properly, I would keep it, get a heavy duty rebuilt trany and then enjoy it. I have 406k on my truck, engine and trany have never been touched. Don't assume your engine will need work soon. My brother has 430k on his 01 and same as I, it has never been touched.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned

if you want a mega cab just get a junkyard tranny and trade it. if you got 5k to spend on a tranny you better get a bts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.