best oil for 7.3 ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best oil for 7.3 ?

based on yalls experience what is the best oil that works for you? i use and trust standard Rotella T and love the stuff to death, but ill be running swamps gen3 here soon and gonne be finishing my built 7.3 soon and want to run something that could perform better. I was thinking the synthetic rotella t type but just thought id ask.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM

Well i talked with a guy that had a set of stg 2's and 38r on his 2000 and he ran 5w40 and he said and swore by it that it ran alil quieter and performed better from what he said.
It kinda only makes sense really. Next oil change im gonna try this out and see how it works. I dont see what it would hurt really.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM

yeah ive been reading a bit about it. i used to do hydraulic elevator construction and now i almost have my associates in Diesel technology so hydraulics makes sense to me, i just dont know much about oils and which ones are best for super high pressure and wont airate or loose its quality to quick. cause with a gen3 and 400/400 injectors it obviously needs a damn good oil that will maintain hydraulic properties for a longer period of time. i dont mind doin oil changes at 5k mile intervals and such but just dont want it to dwindle down to have to change every -3K miles to protect the oil system unless not much of a choice. my dad bein a 30+ year ASE master certified mechanic was just sayin a good way to maintain Rotella T is to just go down to the IH dealer and buy the airation specific additive to help it. but i dont even know if theyll carry it down at our local IH dealer.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Yeah i was kinda iffy bout it as well, just wasnt too sure bout it. My truck does alot of in town driving, get out on the hiway here and there. Just worried that if i go to 5w40 that it will not hold up and break down alot faster and i will be doing changes alot more often. I mean right now i change it out bout 2 times a year at that. So if you do end up goin this route, let me know what you think and see how much better it actually runs.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

with that pump and sticks i would run the cheapest oil i could find and change it often. 3k at most. gen 3 shears oil bad
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Do most upgraded pumps shear oil or mainly just the gen3? Sad to hear but oh well. Might just be sticking with my Dino oil rotella t. $13 a gallon at Althea local walmart. Does anyone know much about that RevX bull or used it? I've read up on it briefly bit not to much.

Bruce51d: off topic but what size wheels and tires are on that truck in the picture? I like it.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
I use Amsoil 5w-30 Heavy Duty diesel
Old 02-19-2012, 04:59 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Basically any 5w-40 synthetic. I run T6 in the winter just because its the cheapest synthetic I know of and has a great reputation.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

i means schaeffers 9000 is the best and if you got the money then use it but you're still gonna hve to change it pretty often
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate87 View Post
based on yalls experience what is the best oil that works for you? i use and trust standard Rotella T and love the stuff to death, but ill be running swamps gen3 here soon and gonne be finishing my built 7.3 soon and want to run something that could perform better. I was thinking the synthetic rotella t type but just thought id ask.

thanks
Might be your best bet to ask swamps and see what they think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.