4x4 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 questions

So. I've got a 01 lariat 4x4 with electronic 4x4 and being new to this ford thing. How do these hubs work. Are they manual or auto and which way does the switch need to be for normal driving. I have heard if you leave them locked you could damage them... Reason I ask is I just towed a corvette to the track for a friend of mine. My friend is a ford guy he was driving next to me and called me told me to pull over an make sure my hubs were unlocked he saw my driveshaft spinning. Well I puled over and he said make sure they are all the way to the left... So I did and they were. A few days before we were in the mud and to look hubs I turned to the right... Now I had no problems with 4wd in the mud reason I bring this up is I was told these hubs are auto so to verify this I looked in the manual and I see according to the diagram in the manual I have even driving with the damn things locked... So I'm confused as ****! Someone help me out here

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ford had two versions of the hubs, a manual and a automatic. Both look similar. The auto ones are most common and come with the electronic 4x4. The two positions that you have are automatic and manual. In automatic mode they rely on a vacuum system that is prone to leaking, manual is a backup for when you have a leak. Under normal circumstances you should leave them in auto. The hubs can get stuck in the locked position, jack the front up and see if the shaft turns when you rotate the tire.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could any damage happen from leaving in locked? And my hubs seen marked which way is Locke or auto

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.