Dusting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dusting?

So I replaced the stock air filter on my 2000 7.3. with 179,000...It read something near 75% on the filter meter so I knew a replacement was due. The filter I replaced was typical color of a dirty filter.

However I inspected the hose up to the turbo and shined a flashlight up there. I saw a little oil and the blades of the turbo looked slight gray on the edges. The bad news is I saw a very light coat of grit in oil! Is this normal for nearly 200,000 miles and 12 years.

...the prior owner had all service records and took excellent care to include all maintenance.

How much should I worry about this. Truck runs fine and no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The factory filter isn't the bad thing it's the factory airbox doesn't completely seal with the filter in it so dirt can get around the filter. As for how much to worry I'll let someone else chime in as I have no experience with dusted motors and I wouldn't mind learning from someone who will chime in with a little more knowledge.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Second Look

You know I took another hard look at the filter, box, hose and turbo. The grime I think was just dirty oil that collected and I think is from a worn turbo seal allowing oil to seep into the air intake hose from filter box (maybe?) from what I have read. There is some very faint white which I thought was dust is actually just rubber oxidized byproduct from production in 5/2000.

The only real evidence of dusting are the turbo blades. I went to the Ford Doctors website and studied the pics for an hour and then compared to my blades. Mine shows wear but not abnormal damage attributed to foreign particles or dirt ingestion. "Compressor blades are clean and straight. There are no large gaps between the compressor housing
and the compressor wheel." would describe mine. There are not dings, turn downs, etc..more from the Ford Doctors below describes a bad situation

"The compressor wheel blades show signs of erosion from dirt entering the intake air system. The blades are rounded off and there is dirt accumulation in the compressor inlet."

"Wheel shows signs of some outside object (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) coming in contact with the blades while they were spinning."

I'm not an engineer but the whole setup is total crap. The metal pins are horrible and even worse are the plastic fingers and corresponding grooves for the top of the housing. Upon very close examination with a dental mirror and flashlight you can spot the tip of the rubber stock replacement filter where it meets the external housing on the exterior side of the box.

The stock setup permits some air flow around the filter media...total crap!

I am hoping the real issue is a worn out turbo and seal. Again, blades appeared normal for age.

Last edited by Eastendlou; 02-13-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: mo info
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 AM

I continue to answer my own post

ok, so I continue but maybe this will help some nervous willy out there

Since my air filter was not totally filthy but overdue for a change I think the air flow restriction cause oil to pull from engine to the hose. Next to the valve cover there is a breather that goes to the air hose that leads from the filter to the engine. When the filter become restricted the breather sucks oil from the engine into the turbo charger area....or so I have read...and so I hope.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

Some oil from the CCV (Crank Case Ventilation) like you mentioned is normal, especially since it probably has never been cleaned out since new. The stock air box is garbage though and if you think dust is getting by, I would think about an upgrade of some form. Don't sweat some small amounts of oil in there. That's the reason many people do some form of a CCV mod and get the oil out of the intake.
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.