Help pinpoint oil leak. Pics included - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help pinpoint oil leak. Pics included

I took some time today and cleaned up as much as I could without using 5 gallons of parts cleaner which I probably need, lol. Here are some pics I took. I think I need to rebuild the oil cooler and I think the HPOP is leaking. As for the rear leak I have no clue. Just did the pedestal orings and that was clean.

Here is before. There was a drop of oil where I put the box

Here is after I "cleaned"

Passenger side of oil pan

Near starter

HPOP

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When you figure it out, let me know.

I've got LOTS of oil in all the same places.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Apparently a lot of ppl do and no one can figure it out. After looking at my pictures, I really need a LOT of parts cleaner.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've given up on trying to clean all the crud.

I know I had the o-rings in the HPOP lines replaced two months ago, and there doesnt seem to be any oil directly around them.

There is, however, about half a gallon in the valley, and at least another quart has run down the left side and and rear of the motor.

My 70 MPH 12 mile drive to work this morning did a fine job of spreading all of that along the entire underside of the truck making finding the source of the leak virtually impossible.

Oh well...I'll figure it out sooner or later.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 PM

I would replace the hpop gasket, ipr o ring kit, high pressure oil line o rings, replace the oil rail plugs, and the turbo oil line o rings. That should fix it, approx $150 in parts, you do the labor, allow one full day to do it. I have been chasing little leaks for six months, wish I would have done all this at one time.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM

I forgot the oil cooler o rings, I had to do those also, another two hours and $50.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
I would replace the hpop gasket, ipr o ring kit, high pressure oil line o rings, replace the oil rail plugs, and the turbo oil line o rings. That should fix it, approx $150 in parts, you do the labor, allow one full day to do it. I have been chasing little leaks for six months, wish I would have done all this at one time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
I forgot the oil cooler o rings, I had to do those also, another two hours and $50.
That's probably pretty sound advice, although I was hoping for the "quick fix" as opposed to losing another whole day crawling around the top of my motor. I'll probably forego the HPOP line o-rings though since they've recently been done.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I recently procured an '01 F250, and, while it was is pretty good shape for its age, I do not accept any form of leaking. So I've been on the same quest the OP is pursuing, with good results. I had leaks in all of the typical areas pictured above, so I started here: Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Bob at Diesel O-rings is a great help. The instructions are top-notch.

Here's another link to get you headed in the right direction: 99-03 7.3 oil leak diagnosis

All of the oil down the passenger side, onto my starter, ended up coming from the oil filler neck o-ring, or lack thereof. Easy fix.

Rebuilding the fuel bowl wasn't too bad, and I also did the IPR o-rings and installed a "serviceable" plug on the bottom of the HPOP. In the kit in the above link, I opted for the new HPOP gasket and HPOP oil line tool as well.

While I was in there and had everything apart, I degreased the valley, to the point of finishing up with brake cleaner.

I also installed NC Hornet's CCV mod, new Riff Raff boots, and plenum boots with inserts, to ensure I was not getting any leaking from the IC pipes / boots.

Another leak was at the dip-stick tube flange at the oil pan. Unfortunately, Bob's $45 kit didn't do the trick (kit was fine, pan was warped), so I ended up having to swap out the oil pan. I did go back together with a new powder-coated oil pan in order to prevent subsequent corrosion these pans are prone for in the rust belt. Oil leak is fixed too...

Just stay at it, and sequentially eliminate all areas of potential leaks. You'll be satisfied, and your truck will be too. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Which are the oil rail plugs and where do I get those besides the dealer? Ate they the big plugs on the backside of the motor? I will just save up and do the cooler rebuild and hpop stuff. Then go from there. It can't hurt to do it all.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 PM

If you just did the oil line o rings then yes, forgo them. Yes the oil rail plugs are the plug on the back side of the heads at the firewall ($8 each at dealer). You said you did the turbo oil line also, so 1/2 day and $150 bucks and you should not be leaking anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.