Maint Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maint Questions

I bought my PS and was told that it was up to date on the maint so no need to change things immediately.

Well the time came for the fuel filter to be changed -- changed at 18k -- when i did i now have doubts about how well maintained it actually was--- there was a crud in the bottom of the bowl and there the filter ended there was a line -- looked like that dirty line left in your bath tub after you wash your dog and drain the tub. i messed with it some and tried to wipe it out but did not mess with the stuff in the bottom. left well enough alone for now.

Is this normal -- should it be cleaned and if so how--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you know if your truck sat for awhile? The fuel might have settled and separated there.
Add some Diesel 911 or something similar to your next several tanks and check it again.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Lubrication Addict

Greentuck: If possible next time you change the F/Filter... Take a pic of inside the bowl and post it... Most important thing to me is you don't want to send that crud to your injectors... You might spend some time and try to remove as much as possible... via a slow process as a hand full of q-tips or small wipes....

Or even try to suck it out some how... Then something to think about is to open the water separator {Yellow Lever} on the back of fuel bowl... and Leave it open... Place a large bucket under the drain tube... Then flush the bowl with fresh diesel a few times... maybe to flush any small pieces of that crud out of there... Maybe even spray out a few times with carb cleaner then flush with fresh diesel... Just make sure the yellow lever is in the open position so all will drain ...

This might take some time... This might even be a bad idea... The only thing to me is you don't want that crap going into your injectors...

After this problem is solved... Change that filter between 10K-15K miles... No matter what...

Also try to by your fuel from the busiest truck stop or quick stop {Thats sells alot of Diesel}... That way you know you are at least not pumping 3month or 6month old standing diesel into your tank...

Maybe other owners will give their thoughts or opinions on this matter... I have never had this problem... I just threw out a few ideas...

Last edited by SyN; 02-10-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Hush Your Mouth!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.