Couple Questions about re-gearing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couple Questions about re-gearing

So first off, I got an 01 F350 4x4 auto 7.3l. Its got a 5.5" lift on 35s (other mods in my sig). I don't know if the previous owner ever re-geared the truck to compensate for the lift and tires (but more then likely he did not). So I'm wondering what size gears I should put in. Its currently running the stock 3.73s (if it hasn't been re-geared) and I want different gears in it for optimum mpg. I don't tow with it, and I do more city/stop and go than highway driving(maybe 4 or 5, 600 mile round trips per year). I was thinking of 4.10s or 4.30s. Which would you guys suggest? I think that 4.56s would be too big for it and the type of driving I do. Which would be more ideal for the best mpg? Also, what name brands are better or the best to get? I don't want to spend boocoo bucks on them, but I don't want the cheap crap. Any good places to order them from? And what exactly would I need to order when I finally do order them? (not very good with axles and gears and what to get or not get. ). Any and all input is appreciated and thanked. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think with 35s you should leave it alone. I have 35s, and wouldn't want to regear unless I was towing really heavy all the time.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
I think with 35s you should leave it alone. I have 35s, and wouldn't want to regear unless I was towing really heavy all the time.
I second that. I have a 4" lift with 35s on my 2001 (3.73 gear) and I get around 18mpg highway. I may even get a little better mileage than that now that I installed an S&B intake and straight-piped it, but I havent checked it lately. I would suggest spending your money elsewhere.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Really? 18? is that hand calculated or by the lie-o-meter overhead? lol. In town I've been getting about 10.6-12mpg hand calculated. Granted i have lots of hills, stop and go, and I haven't had the lightest foot. Hopefully my TW chip (when it gets here) will help bump that up a bit. Does exhaust really help with mpg at all?

No go on the re-gearing tho?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM

18ish. Granted thats with a tuner and keeping it under 2,000 rpm with the cruise control on and flat road Florida driving. Hand calculated...my overhead lie-o-meter reads 12mpg, but it's way off. Not sure how much straight-piping affected it (if at all) because it already had a 4" turbo back exhaust with a straight-thru muffler when I got it, but I have noticed the intake and straight piping inreased throttle response dramatically, so Im assuming the more efficient air flow helped the mpg slightly too. Im not saying you shouldn't re-gear, I just dont think it's necessary.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I second that. I have a 4" lift with 35s on my 2001 (3.73 gear) and I get around 18mpg highway. I may even get a little better mileage than that now that I installed an S&B intake and straight-piped it, but I havent checked it lately. I would suggest spending your money elsewhere.
I find that kind of hard to believe. I have 33s and 3.73s with a 6 speed at 60 mph I have never seen over 13.9 MPG's.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Crewcab7.3 View Post
I find that kind of hard to believe. I have 33s and 3.73s with a 6 speed at 60 mph I have never seen over 13.9 MPG's.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I've only owned the truck since October, so maybe the previous owner did some other mods that I dont know about, but Im definetely getting better than 13.9 highway. I got around 15mpg last October while towing my wifes Altima behind it on a two wheel dolly, thats at around 65mph though (maybe I was going slower than I thought, lol).

Last edited by E-Man; 02-09-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.