Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Share your fuel system mods

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rufushusky 
#1 ·
Still considering installing a fuel filter and water seperator and looking for suggestions as well as actual experiences from members that have updated their fuel systems.

I'm still primarily looking at just installing something similar to the Racor fuel filter and water seperator filter either pre-pump or post-pump.

Everyone share your fuel system upgrades......

#4 ·
So do you have one in place? I'm trying to get real world experience from users who already have one, or even from people who have modified their fuel system in other ways?

I've often heard that just adding an in-line filter and and water seperator could do more harm than good, especially if it's placed pre-pump (puts strain on the fuel pump, etc) as well as strain all around on the fuel system itself

#3 ·
just curious on what Racor system would be used. this is new to me and have been thinking of doing a better seperator. just dont know what to look for/get. thanks...

#5 ·
Yeah I have them, well if you add them with a stock fuel bowl it might, but when you delete it you have to have some sort of filtration. When you do in tank mods you remove the screen from the pick up so you have to have a pre pump filter to protect the pump

#6 ·
Bruce where is your's mounted Pre fuel pump or post pump? Any suggestions or tips on mounting the filter, or any pictures? Is your's a Racor brand? When you refer to "them" do you mean that you mounted more than one filter, and then did a fuel bowl delete? I was asking primarily about just adding one filter, such as the Racor brand fuel filter and water seperator.

Thanks

#7 ·
I haven't done it YET, but I have a B1212 for a pre pump filter. Water separator filters work better on the suction side.
Then I have a B7633 for post pump. And whatever base fits those filters.

#14 ·
Baldwin FB1311 (and its cross references) all fit those 1-14 filters.

Lol. Well, Thanks at least for the bumps, Bruce :bump:
Couple of good links...

SpringerPop's Dahl Fuel Filter

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

I hope to do that later but with a Baldwin FB1311 filter base and BF1212(or cross reference) fuel filter/water sep sometime in the spring. I will keep the factory fuel bowl...I am just doing a hutch/harpoon and a RFx..not a full RR.

When I had my dodge I did this...

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/64976-cat-fuel-filter-set-up.html

#10 ·
I just did a pre pump bf1212 and modified the tank this past weekend and wished I had done it sooner. The foot breaking off was the main motivator but when I got it put back together and took the mixing chamber apart to see the screens I was shocked. Both of them were full of junk. I have not finished the tank yet so I can't speak on the supposed cackle reduction but I am comforted by having a filter that I can change every so often.
I am planning a bowl delete and post filter with regulated return next. I think the kits are the best way to go if you have the $$. With my discounts through work I can build my own and not only save a little but also spread the cost out. Plus I enjoy the research and kit assembly. More then likely I will add a helper pump as well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

#13 ·
I would probably buy the one Strictly Diesel offers IIRC that's the only one I have seen and heard anything about. Plus they are a sponsor of the forum. I am sure there are others out there, one thing I would keep in mind is the cost of filters for any modification I was going to do. That is one reason I want to do a RR is to do away with the $50 stock filter. Granted it doesn't get changed every 5k or anything but it makes that service interval expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.