FL ppl oil question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FL ppl oil question.

Are you all seeing much difference using a synthetic oil vs a conventional oil? I am debating on switching from 15w40 to 5w40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Lubrication Addict

Nuthin: Problem is this has been and is always being talked about in every diesel pickup forum...

Looking and seeing that U live in Florida... Where the weather is really ideal most of the time... Hardly ever below freezing or Extreme Cold... Which this is where the 5W-40 really shines compared to the very thick 15W-40...

The only true advantage that the 5W-40 synthetic oil is during cold start ups... This Oils pump ability is far superior to the 15W-40... You want that oil getting up to the top of the motor ASAP... Hence the 5W pumps way easier then the 15W... We have been told for many yrs that most engine wear occurs at start-up...

I myself left a qt of 15W-40 out side one night when the temp dropped down to 13*F... The next morning I tryed to pour that full qt into an empty gallon jug... ROFL... It took at least 5min for at least 1/2 the full qt to pour out.... Though not a scientific test? It doesn't have to be for me to see, the 15W-40 was never going back into my 7.3L...

I didn't know how sluggish and poor my throttle response was until I switched to 5W-40... What a difference it made... I now mainly pour in T5 10W-30 yr round... My 7.3L really reacts differently compared to the thick 15W-40...

I'm running a mix now {This Winter} because WM only had 2 gallons of T5 so I had to substitute 2 gallons of T6 5W-40... 4gallons total with the ELF7405 Filter...

I will tell you this... if your wallet will not be hurt by the extra cost of the 5W-40? Try it... I'll bet you will not go back to 15W-40... The extra cost is the only draw back... You might be able to extend your OCI to 7K-8K miles to justify the extra cost...

Good Luck in your Quest...

This question will stir up many many different opinions... This is just mine... Nothing More.

It's your hard earned money... Many 7.3L owners are making the switch to 5W-40 or HDEO 10W-30 and wondering after the switch why didn't I do this yrs ago...

But with all that said... With You living in a Warm Climate most of the yr... 15W-40 will serve your PSD very well....It's all about wanting to try something new!

Take a look see around this area... alot of good interesting opinions here...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=22&page=1

Last edited by SyN; 02-09-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Hush Your Mouth!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthinbutfords View Post
Are you all seeing much difference using a synthetic oil vs a conventional oil? I am debating on switching from 15w40 to 5w40.
In my experience you won't see much of a difference. I only notice a difference in throttle response when cold, once the engine is warm a 15w-40, a 5w-40 and a 10w-30 all feel the same to me. I know other will object but IMHO, in your climate you won't notice a difference.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM

Yes you will notice more attributes of the synthetic oil in colder weather. The big difference in synthetic oils is that they are better lubricants. Thus better for your engine. I'm a bit anal and use synthetic oils on everything, its worth the extra cost to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.