Anybody had this problem with TS 6 chip? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody had this problem with TS 6 chip?

Well ive been getting a lot of work done on my truck and decided to run an edge evolution. When the ts 6 was taken off is when the issues started. First every single light that can turn on on the dash board did. Had to go thru and shut everyone off. Although water in fuel light comes on randomly. Got the edge on and the truck will not hold a sready rpm. Jumps from 300 to 1000. Even when driving it did it, actually died while driving if you let off the accelerator. unplug the edge, it does not help, stays the same.BUT if you plug the ts 6 it all works correctly. Mechanic said ts 6 my have friend off a few settings on the PCM (ECM). Now if have to get a new pcm to run the truck without a chip if needed and also so I can put the edge on. Has anyone experienced this? Mechanic said he 3 trucks come on with same problem, no they werent putting on edgrs, it was diff products, but they all took off the ts 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 03:55 PM

Everyone always says... they cleaned the pcm contact(s) but if you dont get them thoroughly it will cause the pcm to act in a similar way. Pull pcm and clean again and be certain to use the emory cloth?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Well, just a guess. ( I had a hard time understanding exactly what is going on form the original post) It sounds liek the Edge may have corrupted files. When you take the chip off, the chip is off. It isn't changing anything and it is 100% back to whatever tunes are on the PCM. If you loaded the Edge tunes and it isn't running right then put it back to stock tunes with the Edge and it's still not running right, but then put the TS back on and it runs fine, it sounds like the tunes loaded on the PCM might be bad. If I understand your post correctly, there is no way the chip is causing the problem, unless maybe you didn't clean the contact good enough and damaged the PCM, but even then I would expect it to have problem with the TS installed too.
-Aaron
Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

ts chip came with the truck. Mechanic cleaned everything and even unplugged batteries for a bit. barely runs when the chip is not plugged in, runs ok when it is plugged in. edge didnt make a difference with it on there, still had rpms all over the place. Basically I cant run the truck without the ts 6. Even tried flashing the pcm to put original
Programming back on but it didnt help.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Lol, sorry about the grammar. Im trying to type this out on commercials from the ufc fight
Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansF250 View Post
ts chip came with the truck. Mechanic cleaned everything and even unplugged batteries for a bit. barely runs when the chip is not plugged in, runs ok when it is plugged in. edge didnt make a difference with it on there, still had rpms all over the place. Basically I cant run the truck without the ts 6. Even tried flashing the pcm to put original
Programming back on but it didnt help.
That's the thing though...Last I knew (I had an old Evolution) the Edge copies the original programming and then puts it's program onto the PCM. If it doesn't copy right (coming from OR going to the PCM) it can cause problems. I've known a few people who's trucks wouldn't start after trying to program them and had to take them to the dealer to get the factory program put back in the PCM. Hopefully some other people with some experience will chime in, but to me it sounds like the program on the PCM is bad since the chip on the 7.3's "overrides" whatever program is on the PCM and runs what is on the chip. That is why you don't hear of people "stacking" tunes on the 7.3's like you do the 6.0's. In fact, when I had my Edge Evolution (which I hated BTW) I asked about whether I needed to take the truck back to stock (which I ended up doing) and was told it wouldn't matter, the chip overrides whatever is on the PCM.
-Aaron
Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 PM

I see what your saying. Im sorry I wasnt clear though but the truck started doing this before the edge was put on. The ts was taken off to check somethings and as soon as it was taken off thats when everything started. The evolution def would have taken a messed up program when put on, if it was like that before being hooked up. why did you mot like your evolution though?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had that happen. It's a corrupt file. 6 position chips override any program that gets loaded that's why it runs good with the ts. theres a reason alot of people don't like programers. there's a pretty good chance of stuff getting corrupted.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Bad thing is no matter what caused it, I still have to get a new pcm. I use my truck for work and cant send out the ts 6 for new tunes because the truck wont run without it. The mechanic I got the evolution from does custom tunes and is right down the street. So getying tweeks done to it shouldnt b a problem
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd be really leary of having someone that's not a big name tuner tune my truck. There's alot more knowledge that comes into it than just turning up fuel. and if it's the same mechanic that isn't knowledgeable enough to know you need to have the pcm reflashed to fix your problem i definately would not let him touch my truck. If he's telling you that it needs a pcm he probably doesn't work on performance diesels much (not even enough to know a programmer can corrupt files) meaning he shouldn't be tuning vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.