LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new ball joints now it feels weird

Yesterday I took the truck to a well known suspension shop to install my ball joints and they also put in a new tie rod end and a steering stabilizer. When I picked up the truck it was wondering around and it took much more turning to get the truck to react. I can drive down the freeway at 70 mph and wiggle the wheel back and forth and it will not turn right away. Its like there is a TON of play in the steering. I took it back today and they said everything looks right and that what I am feeling is the ball joints breaking in and it should get better as they break in and work themselves out. The guy claimed that as the grease works its way into the new ball joints this will go away.

REALLY?!?! could this be true?

Just a basic 01 F350 CCLB SRW -Good from a far but far from good
post #2 of 22 Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've never heard of that...everytime i've done ball joints and tie rod ends i've always felt the tightness in the steering/suspension right away.

Tom
2001 F250 7.3 auto 4x4 Lariat CCSB
6637 intake
4" MBRP exhaust
PHP tunes
Foil delete
EBPV delete
ISSPRO Boost, Pyro, and Trans Gauges
Strictly Diesel Pre-Pump Filter/In-Tank Kit
Strictly Diesel Regulated Return and Fuel Bowl Delete
High Flow Banjo Bolts
Nitto AT's 305/70R16
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Intake, Exhaust, Tune
Camaro 20's, Camaro SS Brembo's
1997 VDub Passat GLX VR6
post #3 of 22 Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

That is what I thought also. I think they are just giving me the run around. This is why I usually don't let anyone work on my stuff.

post #4 of 22 Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look under it. Sounds like it's play in the gear but you want to pin point exactly where it's coming from. They just did one tie rod end?

Jason

O.T.F.D. Volunteer 19

Great White - 2003 7.3l F-250 4x4 CCSB -102,000 miles and tickin
DIY intake - 4" Straight pipe - HPX - CAT ELC - 203 t stat - billet t stat housing - coolant filter - dual alt radiator hose - 12V Air compressor - 5 gallon air tank - Air line quick connects - AIR HORNS!

Hers: 2013 VW Jetta TDI

post #5 of 22 Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

The only tierod they did was the one on the pitman arm. Ill check this evening when I pick it up.

post #6 of 22 Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM

Did they/You do anything with the end links on the sway bar or the sway bar bushings? If not energy suspensions sells a kit that is great, they are easy to do also. If all of your components in the front end are "good" and you still have play you may want to adjust your steering box... on top of the box is a 5/8 diameter nut, youll also need an allen wrench for the screw on top. Back the 5/8 nut off a 1/4 turn and adjust your allen screw clockwise 1/8 to 1/4 turn(s) at a time so as not to overtighten, test drive and you will notice an improvement.
Key here is 1/4 turns on the allen screw and test drive and re-adjust if necessary...it may take a couple of shots at it but it will help you out.

2006 F350 CC, SB, SRW, FX4, 3.5" Stainless MBRP Downpipe, 4" Stainless MBRP the rest of the way, Solid Up-Pipe FCDP EGR Delete, CCV Reroute,SCT X3 W/ID Tunes, Bulletproof oil cooler,Edge Insight Gauges, Fog Light Mod, High Idle Mod, Coolant Filter, SWAMPS FICM, No Cat,165k.
2002 F250 CC SB SRW 4X4 TS 6 Pos Edge gauges straight exhaust 6637 CCV Banks Big head Ranch Hand Bumpers 154k

In the end We will remember not the words of our Enemies, But only the silence of our friends.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check the nut holding your pitman arm to the steering stabilizer. If its loose, than that will cause play in your steering wheel.. hope you get it figured out soon.

Cody Ryan
03 f250 ccsb fx4 7.3
4" RC lift
35x12.50 federals on 20x12 rockstars
6637 intake, straight pipe
full RR w/ fuel bowl delete.
rebuild coming soon

post #8 of 22 Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5OH6.0 View Post
Did they/You do anything with the end links on the sway bar or the sway bar bushings? If not energy suspensions sells a kit that is great, they are easy to do also. If all of your components in the front end are "good" and you still have play you may want to adjust your steering box... on top of the box is a 5/8 diameter nut, youll also need an allen wrench for the screw on top. Back the 5/8 nut off a 1/4 turn and adjust your allen screw clockwise 1/8 to 1/4 turn(s) at a time so as not to overtighten, test drive and you will notice an improvement.
Key here is 1/4 turns on the allen screw and test drive and re-adjust if necessary...it may take a couple of shots at it but it will help you out.
Are you sure these trucks have the nut and Allen screw you are referring about? I have looked and did not see one once before when I felt exceessive play. I was told I do not have one by the dealer and the shop that I get my tires and alignments at. My play went away when I replaced my balljoints myself, tough job but worth the $300.00 I saved.

2002 F250 CCSB Lariet 7.3 Auto
2" helper springs 285/75R16 Toyo M/T
80 gallon fuel tank in bed
DIY 6637
Warn Premium Hubs
Ford Transmission @ 407,425 miles 3/24/12
Swamps Injectors, glow plugs, UVC harness and gaskets @ 482,460 miles 10/25/13
Avic X930BT w/ backup camera

www.riverchasefarms.com
"We Farm for Ducks"

As of 2/25/15 549,064 miles

2005 Excursion Eddie Bauer 4X4 6.0
Stock 203k miles
post #9 of 22 Old 02-04-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
Are you sure these trucks have the nut and Allen screw you are referring about? I have looked and did not see one once before when I felt exceessive play. I was told I do not have one by the dealer and the shop that I get my tires and alignments at. My play went away when I replaced my balljoints myself, tough job but worth the $300.00 I saved.
On the top of the steering box...left front fender looking down, look just in back of the radiator along the drivers side frame rail. There may be some power steering lines in close proximity but they should not be blocking your ability to see the nut and allen screw.

2006 F350 CC, SB, SRW, FX4, 3.5" Stainless MBRP Downpipe, 4" Stainless MBRP the rest of the way, Solid Up-Pipe FCDP EGR Delete, CCV Reroute,SCT X3 W/ID Tunes, Bulletproof oil cooler,Edge Insight Gauges, Fog Light Mod, High Idle Mod, Coolant Filter, SWAMPS FICM, No Cat,165k.
2002 F250 CC SB SRW 4X4 TS 6 Pos Edge gauges straight exhaust 6637 CCV Banks Big head Ranch Hand Bumpers 154k

In the end We will remember not the words of our Enemies, But only the silence of our friends.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

I looked under the truck with my helper turning the wheel and the only play I can see is in the steering box. I bought a red head box that I will install this weekend and hopefully that will fix my issue. All I can think is that now that the slop in the ball joints and steering link is gone it amplified how bad the steering box is. The truck now has 236k miles. Its about time for a steering box anyway.... Ill update this thread after I put in the red head box. Fingers crossed!!!

Oh and I already adjusted the box as far as I am comfortable going. I adjusted it 50k miles ago to help bandaid the slop I had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode