new ball joints now it feels weird - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new ball joints now it feels weird

Yesterday I took the truck to a well known suspension shop to install my ball joints and they also put in a new tie rod end and a steering stabilizer. When I picked up the truck it was wondering around and it took much more turning to get the truck to react. I can drive down the freeway at 70 mph and wiggle the wheel back and forth and it will not turn right away. Its like there is a TON of play in the steering. I took it back today and they said everything looks right and that what I am feeling is the ball joints breaking in and it should get better as they break in and work themselves out. The guy claimed that as the grease works its way into the new ball joints this will go away.

REALLY?!?! could this be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've never heard of that...everytime i've done ball joints and tie rod ends i've always felt the tightness in the steering/suspension right away.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM

That is what I thought also. I think they are just giving me the run around. This is why I usually don't let anyone work on my stuff.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look under it. Sounds like it's play in the gear but you want to pin point exactly where it's coming from. They just did one tie rod end?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM

The only tierod they did was the one on the pitman arm. Ill check this evening when I pick it up.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Did they/You do anything with the end links on the sway bar or the sway bar bushings? If not energy suspensions sells a kit that is great, they are easy to do also. If all of your components in the front end are "good" and you still have play you may want to adjust your steering box... on top of the box is a 5/8 diameter nut, youll also need an allen wrench for the screw on top. Back the 5/8 nut off a 1/4 turn and adjust your allen screw clockwise 1/8 to 1/4 turn(s) at a time so as not to overtighten, test drive and you will notice an improvement.
Key here is 1/4 turns on the allen screw and test drive and re-adjust if necessary...it may take a couple of shots at it but it will help you out.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check the nut holding your pitman arm to the steering stabilizer. If its loose, than that will cause play in your steering wheel.. hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5OH6.0 View Post
Did they/You do anything with the end links on the sway bar or the sway bar bushings? If not energy suspensions sells a kit that is great, they are easy to do also. If all of your components in the front end are "good" and you still have play you may want to adjust your steering box... on top of the box is a 5/8 diameter nut, youll also need an allen wrench for the screw on top. Back the 5/8 nut off a 1/4 turn and adjust your allen screw clockwise 1/8 to 1/4 turn(s) at a time so as not to overtighten, test drive and you will notice an improvement.
Key here is 1/4 turns on the allen screw and test drive and re-adjust if necessary...it may take a couple of shots at it but it will help you out.
Are you sure these trucks have the nut and Allen screw you are referring about? I have looked and did not see one once before when I felt exceessive play. I was told I do not have one by the dealer and the shop that I get my tires and alignments at. My play went away when I replaced my balljoints myself, tough job but worth the $300.00 I saved.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codum View Post
Are you sure these trucks have the nut and Allen screw you are referring about? I have looked and did not see one once before when I felt exceessive play. I was told I do not have one by the dealer and the shop that I get my tires and alignments at. My play went away when I replaced my balljoints myself, tough job but worth the $300.00 I saved.
On the top of the steering box...left front fender looking down, look just in back of the radiator along the drivers side frame rail. There may be some power steering lines in close proximity but they should not be blocking your ability to see the nut and allen screw.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM

I looked under the truck with my helper turning the wheel and the only play I can see is in the steering box. I bought a red head box that I will install this weekend and hopefully that will fix my issue. All I can think is that now that the slop in the ball joints and steering link is gone it amplified how bad the steering box is. The truck now has 236k miles. Its about time for a steering box anyway.... Ill update this thread after I put in the red head box. Fingers crossed!!!

Oh and I already adjusted the box as far as I am comfortable going. I adjusted it 50k miles ago to help bandaid the slop I had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.